1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Unstable sheep
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

A more natural way to incubate chicks...an experiment in natural nest incubation.

Discussion in 'Natural and Organic Husbandry' started by Beekissed, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Feb 11, 2014
    Beekissed

Beekissed True BYH Addict

taylorm17 and Southern by choice like this.
  2. Feb 11, 2014
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Just read your thread! Sounds interesting.
    I also prefer for my broodys to do the work. Just had chicks hatch out somewhere in the woods... Modern Game Bantams. Yep momma sat through frigid temps, snow, ice... and they hatched.

I do have a small bator and large cabinet incubator. I hatch for the public and have to coordinate hatches. Kinda stinks but gotta do what I gotta do for large orders.

Curious to see how this goes for you.
    I do want to say when the mommas sit there really is consistent temps all around and they turn their eggs it seems constantly. I read somewhere an average of 17 x day. :hu

When I have to use artificial incubation I do lift the lid or open the door for 5-10 minutes it will take time for temp to come back up- but I do it to mimic how the momma hen would leave the nest once a day to eat/drink/defecate.

Also candling the eggs a second time at about 17-18 days will tell you if one has died if so remove it so it does not rot or explode as it can contaminate the hatch. If they are dark eggs and you cannot see through it just use your sniffer... any odor and pitch.

This will be fun to see how your experiment goes. :)

3. Feb 11, 2014
    autumnprairie

autumnprairie Owned by the Rotten Heifers

I am also following, I just sold my incubator I think more to appease my DH. I am not worried 75% of my flock is Buff Orpingtons :weee:p :hide

taylorm17 likes this.
  4. Feb 20, 2014
    Beekissed

Beekissed True BYH Addict

The experiment has changed and I was doing something wrong, so may start a new nest, may continue this one while starting a new one or may end this one and go with the new one.

5. Feb 20, 2014
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Uh oh... what happened?

Edited to add: Just went to BYC and read the latest updates. Hope it works out...and yes...keep going! :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014