A Mountain Lion Comes to Visit

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My husband regularly walks the state lands behind our house. Today, he was hunting for rabbits when he heard the loud hiss of a mountain lion. We've dealt with mountain lions when we lived in Colorado, and we've had a few show up here. Well, tonight I was taking the bottle baby boer goat out for a pee when I heard the mountain lion make its territory call right behind the house. :th I scooped up the buckling and hightailed it inside. I woke up DH and shown the light on the hill behind the house.

The deer had gotten busted out of their beds behind the house. One was limping. The air was thick with deer scent (smells like goat buck) and I caught the eyes of at least 3-4 deer including two I actually saw. The cat had gone quiet, but I got worried about the goats, horses and llama. My goats are due to kid in the next month. We didn't see the cat.

So, after DH went back to bed, I've been keeping an eye on the paddock. The dogs aren't going out unless they're with me. Mountain lions are pretty nerve wracking. The only thing I've thought more worrisome were bears and wolves.

Sigh. I should buy a tag when general season opens on mountain lion.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
That is no bueno! Hope your visitor moves on like ours did.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SkyWarrior said:
The deer had gotten busted out of their beds behind the house.

Sorry about your cougar problems! Those are scary creatures! Hopefully you can keep enough eye on them to avoid anything happening!

I just had to ask what this sentence means?

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Deer tend to bed down at night in deep grass or brush and stay put. So they were forced out by the cougar

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BrownSheep said:
Deer tend to bed down at night in deep grass or brush and stay put. So they were forced out by the cougar

Ahh thank you! I knew it was a regional thing! LOL! We don't have deer here so I've never heard anyone say that before. :lol:

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
BrownSheep said:

Ahh thank you! I knew it was a regional thing! LOL! We don't have deer here so I've never heard anyone say that before. :lol:
Yep, having two does show up right above the house at that time of night was odd. A few other deer were moving around. They eventually settled down and were grazing on the hillside in the morning.

I'll have to be careful feeding in the next few days. Mountain lions are pretty nasty.