A new adventure!

Kris S.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi there! I just ran across this forum while looking for information about rabbits.
Some background... I'm 46 and live in Northern California with my 4.5 year old son and husband. We've been keeping a small flock of chickens for almost 2 years now. This winter I decided to expand the flock a bit and then chicken math happened. I went from 9 birds to 38 lol.

I've been thinking about raising rabbits for meat since our food chain is struggling in the current situation. This week I was helping someone who wants to keep some chickens and he asked if I wanted a couple of rabbits. I said ok and 24 hours later, I had rabbits! I was given 2 Dutch bucks (Bimp and Bump) which are aren't ideal for meat but I'm hoping to get a larger breed of female to help balance out. I look forward to reading the posts and learning lots!

PS my son named Bimp lol. He's also named a couple of chicks Fork and Spoon. ;)

Kris S.

Attachments

• Attach1.jpg
    Attach1.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 63

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Rabbits and chickens are good small livestock to raise. You can feed your family very well with meat and eggs. Old layer hens make good meat too and the broth is golden in color and flavorful. Do you raise a garden? We’ll soon have you packing away food like a squirrel. LOL Canning, freezing, dehydrating—we are great enablers!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. Yep -- enablers here. But with every good intention. Cute rabbit.

Pls go into your profile & add an area so we know, in general, where you are. Often this makes a huge difference in the info you need for any questions. ;)