A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, so 3 new lambs today,2 from the Persian x's and one from the Suffolk which was joined to the Australian White.Although in the pic's it is not obvious the boning in the lamb is a lot heavier that the standard Suffolk.This year the Suffolk's have to do it all on their own as they have "not " been crutched or the belly wool taken off as is normal due to my recent surgery.

The other 2 lambs are from the Persian/Damara x's and so have not got the "speckled" color but this could be explained by the number of rams in the group,which are about to be separated.

BTW,the 2 colored Suffolk's are a first X by a B H Dorper,their lambs will be worth waiting for?...T.O.R.
July 19 001.JPG
July 19 003.JPG
July 19 006.JPG
July 19 007.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I studied Sheep here for several years, learning all I could. Because of the shearing and crutching I knew I didn’t want higher maintenance wool breeds. I opted for hair sheep because of their lower maintenance.

I admire you for this path you have chosen. Because of health, age and other issues, you decided to stay in sheep, your love of them and the farm, you made the wise decision to move into hair Sheep. You have a lot of breeds to choose from and will breed the right sheep to fit your land. It is with great excitement that I watch your journey from afar, but with a front row seat on all the goings on. Thank you so much for taking us along with you.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,new pic's .new Awassi lamb just 24 hours old (another ram,still he can be used over some of the other breeds into the future).The next pic's are of the second group (not as clean shedding as the 1st group,but some will move up next year).The forage does look a little "grim" but the ewes seem to be holding up OK without hand-feeding.
Aug 2019 005.JPG
Aug 2019 003.JPG
Aug 2019 005.JPG
Aug 2019 003.JPG

Attachments

• Aug 2019 001.JPG
    Aug 2019 001.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 168

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a beautiful ram lamb, love his markings. The pastures are looking dry, it must be your dry season. It is dry here too. The sand we have is loose, dusty, and in some places over a foot deep. A vehicle will get stuck in it.

We just had forestry mulching done to clear some land. Take a look at it.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/forestry-mulching.39904/#post-618463

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
TOR, they all look great, even with the drier grass! Love the markings on that little lamb also. Loving the updates on your new direction. :woot

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
News from Downunder: Two new ones last night,first a East Friesian x Awassi ewe/ Awassi ram.The second one was from a Damara x Persian ewe/ram a Persian .Pic's to come when the lambs are settled....When our own lambing starts it will be a little hard to keep up though,4 groups totaling about 120 ewes....... T.O.R.