A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,the absence was caused by a day in hospital for surgery on one of my "kidney's",i had been waiting for 2 months to be able to get it done and now i have to "rest up" for a week or so before resuming normal work on the farm.

Lambing goes on with all the groups and due to the existing dry weather the lambs that come out at the other end will be really fine stock.It looks like a nice lot of ewe lambs from the wiltipoll's,next week will see us marking the lambs from the Suffolk x Australian White but they seem to be doing just fine when we drive around.

The introduction of the Persians and the Middle Eastern Milkers has changed the future direction a little and after a chat with the folks from the Painted Desert Sheep people in the US i have started a "new group",The Australian Painted Sheep Discussion Group. As soon as I put it up i had people wanting to join ,they seem like a "fun group" so far.Here is the link if any of you want to join.
AUSTRALIAN PAINTED SHEEP,DISCUSSION GROUP....................T.O.R.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,so today we went to check the elite group,this group is made up of the best shedders in the W. H .Dorpers and a group of Wiltshire Horns.The same stud Wiltipolls joined both groups.But what a difference in the lambs!The mothers are a little to cautious at the minute for pic's,but the difference is astonishing the Wilti over the Horns are as good as we have ever produced even at this early stage.The boning in the forequarters and the muscle over the rump is visible even at this early stage (but a few weeks old).They will come in for "marking" (tails and de-sexing) in about 3 weeks time and then the difference should be really obvious.

Health-wise i am feeling "terrific" after the operation ,but am tempering my excitement so as not to encounter any problems.

The other groups continue to lamb and the twinning rate is greater than we have ever experienced with the new breeds.

The latest Aswssi's lambs are pictured mustang89 will enjoy i am sure ,the white and colored are from a out-cross and the red-head is a pure bred.Hope you all enjoy...T.O.R.
05 19 001.JPG
05 19 002.JPG
23.19 003.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the spotted sheep. My Dorper/Katahdin sheep come out spotted, the colors are more fun than plain white. Even with my white registered Katahdin ram, he has a black spot on his ear and his last year's lamb crop had some pretty coloring. I can't wait to see what he produces from my ewes.

There is a Painted Desert sheep breeder not far from me that posts pictures of lambs for sale on Craigslist. They are some pretty sheep, but I don't want horned sheep.

It looks like you may start up a new breed, well suited to the climate of Australia, all colored up and pretty to boot. I have to admit, I like eye candy in the pasture!

I am glad that the surgery went well for you. Be sure and take good care of yourself while you heal up.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow! Those lambs look as healthy as can be! That is one of the things I like about the Awassi breed, at least compared to something like the East Friesians is how healthy and stout the lambs look. Nice think feet, well muscled bodies. Other breeds I've seen, though they be healthy, have always seemed a bit thin boned to me, or take a while to fill out.

Those lambs are adorable. I love the coloring and markings on them!

What is the weather there like right now? It is getting close to spring if I'm not mistaken right? I'm just asking because of how short their wool seems to be for the season I thought it was.

I'm very interested in your thoughts on introducing the hair Gene into this breed without losing any of the positive traits such as milk, parasite resistance, health of body.

Beautiful looking herd.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm very interested in your thoughts on introducing the hair Gene into this breed without losing any of the positive traits such as milk said:
Thanks mustang89,so this is my thinking on the subject at this time.Based on the results of somebody's else's trial this is what i propose: Van Rooy ram over Aswssi ewe,Assaf ram over female progeny ,Wiltipol ram over females of the previous mating selecting against excessive woolen coat.

Yes ,we are in the coolest part of the year at present,frost photo attached,but its our woodland cover which assists the sheep cope i suspect.
AUG 2019 002.JPG

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day Mustang 89,would it be possible for you to introduce me to your friend Larry? I would like to pursue the Meatmaster X thing .We already have most of the basics and would appreciate some pointers to travel this path in the future......T.O.R.