A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is quite small, I drive through it all the time when I need to go out that gate.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day ,as promised here amongest some other "stuff" is a couple of pic's of the fires...The first 2 are of the fire to the East ,about 10 kms away...The next one is of the fire coming from the West,again the fire was about 10 kms away...

So here we are a few days later the fire to the West is "quiet" at present and the one to the East is making it's way North and away from us.

The next item is about a paddock of about 50 acs which we split about 15 years ago via a program with our State Govt.20 acs was fenced off to protect and restore a "water-shed" area of old growth euc's and She Oaks which are a feed source for a local endangered parrot species(Glossy Black's).For the first 5 years we were only able to have stock in the restored area for 2 X 2 weeks each year.Since then we try to only use in extremes of weather as their is "no" water supply in the paddock.In the 2 pic's the restored area is above the fence line and has not been grazed for over a year,but when it rains (finally) the dead long growth will absorb any heavy rain event and protect the lower slope for any loss of top-soil and nutrient load,also it will be the first to come-away and we will be able to graze while the other paddocks re-grow.

The next item is a look at one of our more unusual sheep x's,mother is B H Dorper over Suffolk ewe,she was joined to an Australian White Ram,one of the lambs is "jet black" and the other is white with a "broken face" and the rear is a really good "shape" considering the feed conditions it shows a lot of promise in a normal season.

The last 2 pic's are of the parrots mentioned above....Hope you all enjoy the post ......T.O.R.

Last edited:

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the doubling up of the pic's.How do i edit them down to 1 copy of each?...T.O.R.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Painfully?? Mark them in the edit window and delete. It SHOULD only remove the one marked.

Those black hills are heartbreaking. How long will it take for them to recover once the fires die and you get a bit (but not too much at a time!) of rain?

Are those parrots on your property? Sure doesn't look like any Eucalyptus or oak I've ever seen, looks like a pine.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce ,as you can see it deleted both copies.However I will re-post them later and reply to your comments..T.O.R.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take 2. Hope they come up as a full image OK . In the "old" system it was so easy to edit pic's(i guess we will all just have to adapt ).

Recovery of the old forests will take years,because of the way the burnt trees re-shoot.Some trunks will never recover such was the heat of the fires.

Yes, the bird pic's were taken on our place.Quite a lot of our place is a "feeding station" for adults and adults with just fledged young.The tree species is one of the Casuarina's (if you search Glossy Black Parrot you can get the exalt one ) they are a great small tree for very dry conditions and the "needle" drop protects the soil around them.

Attachments

• dec 19 001.JPG
    dec 19 001.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 238
  • dec 19 002.JPG
    dec 19 002.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 241
  • dec 19 005.JPG
    dec 19 005.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 243
  • dec 19 007.JPG
    dec 19 007.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 240
  • dec 19 001.JPG
    dec 19 001.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 235
  • dec 19 002.JPG
    dec 19 002.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 244
  • G B's 032.jpg
    G B's 032.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 239

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So some of the trees will sprout back out from the roots? What about seed bank in the soil? Here, we have lots of pine and oak forests, when they burn, it doesn't take long for new seedlings to show up. In the managed forests, they get replanted quickly, in the fall and winter. Will seeds in the soil come up and repopulate the forest?

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Bay,in a normal "cool burn",you thoughts would apply,but these current ones are "so hot" it remains to be seen .Much of what you can see is National Parks and inaccessible at that.They are not allowed by the environmentalists to put in roads or to even maintain any old ones and so this is the result you get.

They complain about sheep and cattle "farting"effecting global warming,up north we have one fire of over 1 million acs and the question is"how much carbon is being released into the atmosphere?".....T.O.R.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
And this morning I heard on the BBC that Australia recorded its highest temperature ever yesterday. They didn't say where.