A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
At least the puppies will be Kelpies. I lock my Anatolian in the trailer. I take her out and let her loose in a small enclosure only under my supervision, then lock her back up. She hates it, I hate it, but no puppies!

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,I have copied a post from our FB page ,I hope you all enjoy.

G'day folks,here is a few photos,yesterday we drafted off the adult baseline ewes into two groups.The sheep shown are a mix of WH Dorper and Wiltipols.they have been randomly joined to Wiltipol,Wh Dorper and Aussi White rams to establish an on farm first generation and the ewe lambs will be joined to either Persain or Van Rooy rams to intoduce cleaner sheeding and color.
Yesterday was Sam's first real introduction to the sheep.Max was held back and I observed both Him and Tina in a paddock situation.Sam has all the instincts of a really good paddock dog as shown in the photos,Tina will as she grows in confidience will make a handy "yard" IMO.
There are several things to take note of with Sam,in the first pic he is working behind the mob at the same pace as the sheep,he did not at any stage "rush" the sheep also note the "head down " stance and the sheep are moving quietly without feeling "threatened" by his presence,also note Max is well back but watching the situation.2nd pic.Sam and Max are now a lot closer to the sheep as they approach the narrow section leading to the yards but the sheep are still quite calm.3rd pic. The job is almost "done" when one of the rams turns back on the dogs,Sam "holds" his ground with Max close behind,Sam does not apply any pressure and the Ram turns to follow the others into the yards.All things considered a very successful introduction for Sam and I am well pleased with him...T.O.R.

Attachments

• DSCN5677.JPG
    DSCN5677.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN5678.JPG
    DSCN5678.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN5674.JPG
    DSCN5674.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN5675.JPG
    DSCN5675.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN5676.JPG
    DSCN5676.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 72

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice that Sam seems to be getting the idea so well and not over exuberant or pushy. A real testament to your skill and the breeding of the dogs. Puppies will make you just a little busier....:th:D =D:gig;)
Sheep look good.

So sorry about things with Jenny. My mom has progressed to now being totally dependent on the home health care, cannot even stand or walk on her own, and she is pretty much non-responsive. My father's health is not good either; had to be taken to the hospital thinking it was a heart attack and they feel it was an anxiety attack.... causing chest pains, numbness in the arm and leg..... it is a tough situation for my brother who is the POA......my father promised my mother she would never go into a nursing/care facility... yet it seems that she has no real understanding of where she is now, and it would be alot easier and much more financially sound for her to be in a place rather than home health care. Now that my father is getting weaker, and is having some memory and other issues, they would both be better off but he won't hear of it. This will bankrupt them. If he was able to at least do some of the care it would be different, but he can't and has himself in a state all the time. He has nothing else to occupy his mind or time and is wasting away with worry and inactivity.

God Bless you for doing for her, and being able to get out on the farm so that you also have an out for your mental and physical well being.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you Farmer Jan for your note.It would seem we are in a similar situation,as our youngest daughter is looking out for us.At some point your Dad will have to acept that he cannot care for your mum going forward and maybe they can stay together .Jenny's seperation anxiety means that I have to be in sight of her 24/7,she will sit in the car while I undertake stuff to do with the farm but I understand that this is only for a limited time in the future.I to have undertaken that she will stay on the farm, but even I realize that that cannot be the case forever because of the progression of her condition.Thankfully I put in place things in the past so the finiancal things are covered ,you hear so many storys of couples who struggle with the costs which end up have to be being carried by their children,

My situation is helped by the Net,farm and the fact we now have a lass come once a week for 5 hours which means although I cannnot leave but at least I can focus on other things and can have conversations with another adult in our home environment. Working with the dogs is a great mental break for me ,the pups will add to the workload but it will be OK...T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot is said about young love, songs are written, books are written, but the REAL love is old love. Love that has stood the test of time, life's ups and downs, good times and bad times. Old love that spans the years and years is what tells the real story of love.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, I know that many of you do not follow FB,so I am posting a series of photos taken this morning after 150mls of rain in the last week.

After “breakie” Jenny and I undertook a tour of the farm along with my “trusty” little digital camera to record the impact of all this rain on our landscape. I am including the photos and video along with some text explaining how the effects of all this rain has had on our landscape.
Photo 1. this is the highest Swale on the slope and it has taken over 100mls to start the surface flows, the design of the swale is such that it acts like a bathtub and overflows at the end when full. (note clarity of exit flow).
Photo 2. The second level swale showing the same effect, fills completely and clean water exiting into a dense layer of grasses.
Photo’s 3/6. This series are situated as we move down the slope, worth noting is the “clarity” of the water in the last.

hope you enjoy..T.O.R.

P.S. After lunch I will post some photos of the impact on the creek itself.

Attachments

• DSCN5682.JPG
    DSCN5682.JPG
    424.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN5683.JPG
    DSCN5683.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN5684.JPG
    DSCN5684.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN5685.JPG
    DSCN5685.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN5686.JPG
    DSCN5686.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN5688.JPG
    DSCN5688.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 63

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back again. Because I don't think I can post videos ?here are a couple of stills.

P1. this structure os over 13 years old,it was constructed from old wooden fence posts that had "rottedof" at ground level after 40 years in the ground.I'm not sure if you can make it out but there is a distinct difference in the water level above and below.The difference in level indicaites the reduction in flow speed down the drainage line.

P2/P3. Is the site of the underground weir and shows the catchment pool which because of its depth reduces the energy of the flowand the second one shows the exit from the pool.

P3. This is the most rewarding photo of all.It's our boundary fence,you could "drink" this water without ang health worries.Note,apart from the clarity of the flow ,there is no floating debris and nothing "hung up "on the fence it's self.This result is the work of over 12 years careful management.....T.O.R.

Attachments

• DSCN5690.JPG
    DSCN5690.JPG
    504.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN5692.JPG
    DSCN5692.JPG
    525.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN5693.JPG
    DSCN5693.JPG
    607.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN5696.JPG
    DSCN5696.JPG
    544.3 KB · Views: 68

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are an inspiratation, not just in your own country, but across the world. I hope to someday to have such bountiful pasture such as you have.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was wondering how you were making out with all the rain. Two summers ago, insane fires, this fall torrential rain :(