A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tough times you're facing right now. Hope the fire stays away and that you and yours stay safe!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very sorry about the "lost" farm but glad the home farm is still safe. I just can't imagine how bad it is with all the fires and not even into the hottest part of the year yet.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My heart breaks for you and many others affected by these fires. First thought I had is your dear wife. How is the beautiful lady of your heart handling all this upheaval?

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,here is another update.For the first time this morning the local radio suggested that folks in our area start to plan for the possibility of an approaching fire front.For some weeks now i have been of the opinion that our biggest danger is from a fire front which will come from the area NW/NE of us,so today i did a "risk assessment" of the home farm using satellite imagery and local knowledge and had a chap from the local RFS(Rural Fire Service) look at what i had come up with....In the worst case a "hot fire" will burn about 120 acs of woodland and maybe 80 acs of grassland.He stated that our house was one of the most easily defended by us and with the help of our local fire truck..As previously stated we have already plans in place for the flock, so we should be O K in the event of a fire coming towards us.

Anyway this is how things stand at the moment and we will be sure to let you know how things turn out.Jenny and myself are (i think ) coping really well with things as they stand,but as time goes on the uncertainty of the future is to say the least a little "wearing emotionally".

We thank you all for your support and good wishes as we face what is an uncertain future......T.O.R and Jenny.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you post from your cell phone? Power lines and power poles will burn and may cut off the electricity to your home. Keep your cell phones charged and hopefully cell towers won't be destroyed. I haven't ever had to run from fire, but have weathered a lot of hurricanes with the resulting loss of power for weeks afterwards. I always had a text friend away from the hurricane area that was on the forums I frequented so that they could give updates for me. That was before smart phones LOL. If possible, maybe you could have a friend post to your Facebook page for you if you are unable to do so, then your friends can keep up with you.

In 2011, Texas had a record breaking drought and over 31,000 fires that destroyed over 4,000,000 acres and almost 3,000 homes. We were not personally affected but knew people who lost everything.

I guess you have bags packed with important papers, clothing, a few items that are treasured by you and Jenny. I hope you don't have to run for your life, but it is better to have things ready to grab and throw in the truck.

Praying for you.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,It would appear we have survived the worst possible conditions today.The predicted s/e change came through at about 6.45 pm with winds about 60/80 kms per hour.At present we have smoke from the fires N/E of us but "no " ash or burning debris.We have two trailers each with 1000 lts to contain spot fires if they start,but we should be OK tonight and tomorrow promises to be calmer.All of the flock are around the house with adequate feed and water...More updates as things change ...Thank you all for your messages and prayers for our safety and well being.....Frank and Jenny.

We had a daughter out yesterday and she is coming back tomorrow for a few days,Our grandson came this morning to drop off a small generator to run a pump for the trailers,and while he was here helped me feed the sheep for today ,before he returned to his house as a fire was threatening it.It was 42 c today and on one water trough the sheep drank over 2000 lts ,a nearby neighbor has offered me 24000 lts from his house tanks if we need it,hopefully we get some of the forecast rain in the next few days......T.O.R. and Jenny.

P.S. will post a few photos tomorrow (hopefully).

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,It would appear we have survived the worst possible conditions today.The predicted s/e change came through at about 6.45 pm with winds about 60/80 kms per hour.At present we have smoke from the fires N/E of us but "no " ash or burning debris.We have two trailers each with 1000 lts to contain spot fires if they start,but we should be OK tonight and tomorrow promises to be calmer.All of the flock are around the house with adequate feed and water...More updates as things change ...Thank you all for your messages and prayers for our safety and well being.....Frank and Jenny.

We had a daughter out yesterday and she is coming back tomorrow for a few days,Our grandson came this morning to drop off a small generator to run a pump for the trailers,and while he was here helped me feed the sheep for today ,before he returned to his house as a fire was threatening it.It was 42 c today and on one water trough the sheep drank over 2000 lts ,a nearby neighbor has offered me 24000 lts from his house tanks if we need it,hopefully we get some of the forecast rain in the next few days......T.O.R. and Jenny.

P.S. will post a few photos tomorrow (hopefully).
:hugs praying for you all

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I continue to pray that you and Jenny are spared. I pray that you and all affected and in danger from the fires receive rain. Thank you for checking in to let us know that you are ok.

Latest posts