A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

THE OTHER OLD RAM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
HI Ridgetop, our topography is such the water travels via gravity to the lowest point on our farm where it exits.it is pushed along by the pressure of the water above it.Once we worked out just where it travels we put in a solid barrier below ground level (in this case a sheet of Gal iron).This action caused the water to bank up behind it and severely reduced its ability to proceed and leave our place.On the up-slope side of the weir we created several ponds,which we use as water points for the sheep and to determine the state of the water table...This simple operation has shown to back the water up ,up to 500 yards on the high side as shown by the new green growth which continues to come through during a "dry spell".However it has now come time to replace the original sheep of iron (when time permits).The new weir will be 1.5 mts deep as opposed to the current one of less than 1.0 mt. and will be the full width of the stream bed as opposed to the current one which is less than two thirds....I will post text and photos when this new task is undertaken.The success of ours is because of the soil type we have and our understanding of how it functions.

I will post a series of photos show the system in action during the last rain event when I am on the other computer...T.O.R (from the winter office)

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi ,I am back in the "cold office", here are the photos.

1. was the discharge from the dam above the creek.
2.The first stone wall ,I left it as an example of why it "does not work".It was packed too tight and when the flow exceeds the height of the wall there is "no" decrease in flow speed.
3. The new stone wall still a little work to do ,but the reduction in flow speed was quite evident.
4.The ponds at the weir ,where the flow is made to change direction twice at 90 deg.
5 the flow at the boundary.Note there is no debris caught on the fence....T.O.R.

Attachments

• aug 2020 011.JPG
    aug 2020 011.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 151
  • aug 2020 003.JPG
    aug 2020 003.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 149
  • aug 2020 004.JPG
    aug 2020 004.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 154
  • aug 2020 009.JPG
    aug 2020 009.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 151
  • aug 2020 010.JPG
    aug 2020 010.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 144

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
By weir you mean basically a loose pile of rocks so that the water can still filter through, slowly. Right? NOT a rigid, mortared block wall to trap water until it overflows, going to the next solid wall.

Here I have seen the solid block walls like a series of baffles, making a series of little pools with overflow.

What is the advantage of a loose built weir over a solid block wall? I immediately see that the loose weir also traps debris, is there more advantages than that?

THE OTHER OLD RAM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
G'day folks,coming to you once again from the WWO (warm winter office).

Anything solid will be classed as a"dam" as it impedes the natural flow of the stream and is against the regulations. The sheet of iron is actually not that visible from the bank of the stream and what is visible is a "hole" in the stream bed and once the surface flow subsides there is no clue as to what is actually happening.(I will see if I can show the original photo of the weir at the time of installation).

All the other structures are quite porous and are designed to reduce the speed of the flow when those conditions exist.The nature of our soils are that the sub surface flows can continue for over 12 months and the weir merely means that the moisture levels can be maintained up-stream to produce new green growth.

Photos show some of the Persian/Damaras and their lambs.Hope you enjoy....T.O.O.R.

Attachments

• aug 23 003.JPG
    aug 23 003.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 139
  • aug 23 004.JPG
    aug 23 004.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 145
  • aug 23 005.JPG
    aug 23 005.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 144

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is how the underground weir was made.The second one shows the weir in a non flowing situation...T.O.R

Attachments

• 24-8-08.JPG
    24-8-08.JPG
    662.2 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN2674.JPG
    DSCN2674.JPG
    524.9 KB · Views: 134

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. We are working on our pile of sand. LOL We now have 2 pretty good pastures. Small, but heck, we only have 8 acres. This past spring spring we raised Cornish Cross meat chickens in a movable coop, a chicken tractor. I moved it sideways every day in our small side pasture. After I moved it, I scattered giant bermuda grass seed and watered it into the mass of chicken poop left behind. In those patches there is grass 2 feet tall. Two months ago, we covered it with sheep poop from the barn, bending the grass stems down. Everywhere there is a joint in the grass, roots will grow if covered with earth. I have another batch of 45 Cornish Cross in that pasture now, still in the shade as it is scorching hot and I don't want them steam cooked. LOL I will soon start moving them and will go up that strip again, next to the luxuriant grass already there.

This picture was taken April 4, 2020. The dark green grass is winter rye, it dies back in hot weather, but makes some nice early spring grazing. The bare patches is the chicken poop pads.

1598181980251.png

This picture was taken May 23, 2020 and shows the growth of the giant bermuda grass. I grazed the sheep on it several times this summer. It is very hot and dry right now, so I am keeping the sheep off to protect the grass and give it more time to get established. I can grow winter grasses, clovers, but they die back around the end of May to mid June. It's getting grass established to take the summer heat that is challenging. It will get going, then burn up in July and August. If it can make it past the first year, it stands a pretty good chance of surviving.

1598182283926.png

Your ewes and lambs are looking awesome. Strong, healthy and fattened on the grass that you have worked to provide for them.

Attachments

• 1598182285533.png
    1598182285533.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 163

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, did something happen? I was locked out of BYH for several days...T.O.R.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello,
It got really quiet here for a while so I don't think you were the only one. On my end it appeared there were site authentication issues with BYH, but only for a few hours (as I was informed by my live in programmer husband). I'm not sure if everyone is back yet, but I'm sure they will be. Glad you're back online.
-R

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The servers got updated for better security. So secure, that we, the members couldn't get in the forums! that has been resolved and we are back!