A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That all makes sense to me TOR. I guess "hobby farmers" can just raise what they want and ignore the costs (including me and my 2 gelded alpacas and 20 hens, 2 of which are over 8 years old) but a real farmer needs to know how the business is going and work to improve profits to a reasonable degree.

Doesn't the weather know it is supposed to be a month and more into spring down there????

If you choose carefully I know a guy in TN that has a nice Katahdin herd ;)
Unfortunately, all the ewes in that real nice flock are related to that real nice Ram that @Baymule and her husband drove over 1400 miles to go get.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sell them with lambs or sell them as bred..... spring time they will bring more with cute little lambs with them... and since they are "pets" in many ways.... ought to sell good to someone wanting to get started.
I thought they would bring more selling the lambs and ewes separate.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think understanding your local market demands, dictates how you generate your best returns...T.O.R.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks,a couple of photos to show.New lambs ,one born overnight (white one).We were lucky with this one as we had to move that group to more sheltered grazing as we expect rough weather for the next 4 days...T.O.R.

Attachments

• lambs.poplars 002.JPG
    lambs.poplars 002.JPG
    369.4 KB · Views: 72
  • lambs.poplars 003.JPG
    lambs.poplars 003.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 91
  • lambs.poplars 004.JPG
    lambs.poplars 004.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 83

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
G'day folks,a couple of photos to show.New lambs ,one born overnight (white one).We were lucky with this one as we had to move that group to more sheltered grazing as we expect rough weather for the next 4 days...T.O.R.
That brown and white ewe is cool looking, that is such a straight line between the colors!

Edit to add, on second look, she is probably sunbleached black, not brown

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She looks like she was dipped in white paint. I do love spotty sheep, or in this case, half and half Sheep!

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She looks like she was dipped in white paint. I do love spotty sheep, or in this case, half and half Sheep!
I also have a thing for "pig cows" aka belties (black cow with white stripe through the middle). I had a set of toy farm animals when I was a kid and the pigs were belties, then when I discovered that cows came in the same pattern I just about lost my mind and they have forever afterwards been "pig cows" in my mind.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Kusanar , just for your general info, there are 2 breeds of "belted cattle". Dutch belted that are a dairy breed, and belted Galloways that are a beef breed. When crossed with other breeds the belt is often predominate and will show up , sometimes not as a full belt, but still distinguishable.

Latest posts