A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, further to the conversation on the dogs. The Australian Working Kelpie to my mind is un-matched when it comes to stock work,(now I know I will get plenty who say their breed is the best)my dogs are X's of Kelpie,Border Collies and a "cut" of Dingo.I don't in fact "train" my pups I harness their natural instincts and intelligence along with a desire to please the "boss" and actively compete with each other to get individual praise from myself.

I have never been a "stand at the gate " and expect the dogs to bring the sheep to me,our sheep instinctively move away from myself and the dogs and the dogs are used to "guide" the flock towards the destination .Kelpies are at their best when they know the job and have successfully completed it because when they return to me they will be praised for their efforts. My dogs also seem to understand that a visit to the sheep does not always mean there is a task to complete but watch and wait for the signal that work is about to commence,such is the intelligence of the breed...T.O.R.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will say that I have been incredibly impressed with kelpies and how they work. They seem to be completely fearless and totally focused on their job, from puppies on up to the old timers. I’ve gotten to work around them with cows and they will not back down. They’re definitely on my “Dogs to one day own” list

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, it's been a while I know but there has been lots going on down here on the farm as those of you on FB can attest....We have now entered Fall and the farm is in the best condition "ever",The cool end to Summer has the pastures in great condition and the current drop of lambs set to be perfect for the coming ethnic celebrations and will attract a premium I am sure ,a just reward for our efforts in breed selection.

For those of you with an interest in non traditional management FB Indigo Ag are presenting a discussion with Fred Provenza on US CT 7.30 AM on March 4. Prof Fred is world famous for his work with animals and has been over time a mentor for myself.

In recent times Jenny's condition has significantly progressed and personal care is part of the daily routine as is everything to do with the running of the household and the farm. The one thing I find disturbing is her incontinence which involves waking many times in the night which impacts me with "broken sleep" and is something I have not solved as yet.

Photos show pasture recovery after 6 weeks rest from grazing...T.O.R.

Attachments

• 28.02.21 001.JPG
    28.02.21 001.JPG
    682.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 28.02.21 002.JPG
    28.02.21 002.JPG
    459.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 28.02.21 003.JPG
    28.02.21 003.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 28.02.21 004.JPG
    28.02.21 004.JPG
    589.7 KB · Views: 64

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your grasses look terrific!

I'm sorry to hear about Jenny, can you get any help for her or with the farm work? One can't be a full time farmer at the same time as being a full time caretaker for very long :hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry that Jenny's condition is getting worse. I have no words, I have never dealt with that situation. Just know that you can always come here and talk it out, we will listen.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you Bay, to answer Bruces comment ,Its the level of separation anxiety that is the problem.Last week for the first time in 3 years I had 2 hours where I knew Jenny was being looked after and I could relax. In recent times we have had a support lady from the local hospital come each week for 2 hours and as of this week she will come for 5 .When I advised jenny of this change she had a "minor" meltdown as to why they have to come to the farm for that long. The idea of support coming to the farm is something that challenges her I think and I am sure her perception is that it wont be long before she is sent to residential care (which by the way is not even on the radar).

We are on a waiting list for a financial support package from the fed govt,due to changes in her care requirement we are now applying for an increase in the package going forward.The package will fund home help as required and is something that will be necessary going forward especially were anything to happen to me on the farm,(its not something I expect ,but these days one never knows )...I do appreciate your support both online and in your prayers and it is wonderful that you all take the time to offer support...T.O.R.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope she comes to know and like the people that come to help such that she looks forward to seeing them. I don't know if that is something she can do or not. But it is good for her to know that you are doing everything necessary for her to stay in her home :hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been here for you every step of the way and we will keep on this journey with you. I can’t imagine the hurt of watching Jenny slip away. You are a kind and loving man and there aren’t many like you that could meet this challenge. It is a good thing that you are getting home health care for her. It does give you a bit of a break.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sam’s education is proceeding and it seems he has a natural “sit” when unsure and is starting to understand “heel” on the lead. He now “sits” while I let him off of the tether and “waits for the OK” before joining the others. At feed time he sits and waits for the “OK” before eating. For the first time this week he “cleared “the tailgate into the trailer just like the big dogs and as long as the trailer is facing “downhill” he is OK , (but then he is still very young and it will only be another couple of weeks). In further news on the dog front, Meg who is “seasoning "and was tethered inside a 5 ft enclosure had a visit from 2 of our neighbours' dogs (lucky they are both working Kelpies), so I guess we will have some “puppies for sale” at some point in the future...T.O.R.