A question for spinners

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does anyone use fibers from Lionhead rabbits? I found one through Craigslist for $10 and thought it was a reasonable price. We have Angoras for the purpose of spinning but wondered if fibers from a Lionhead would work too?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never spun anything from a lionhead (don't spin angora bunny either as I'm terribly allergic to them), but I don't see why you couldn't. People can spin just about everything.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
i dont see why you couldnt. i have a trio of lionheads. only had em for about a month though. i dont think they shed that much hair that it would be worth keeping them as a fiber animal. i mean they are adorable and all. but they dont appear to shed like at all. at least not mine. but i dont brush them a ton either and they are kept outside in a hutch. could be though. good luck :)

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yea... I ended up not getting him... I think I'm just going to wait til our Lola has a litter, hehehe.

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you want some alpaca fiber, I'll have some in about 2 weeks!

I'm new to alpacas so this year's fiber will be dirt cheap because I don't know who to sell it to!

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
AdoptAPitBull said:
If you want some alpaca fiber, I'll have some in about 2 weeks!

I'm new to alpacas so this year's fiber will be dirt cheap because I don't know who to sell it to!
maybe...
whacha got? color / amount / quality / length / price?

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No idea yet. They're all being shorn around April 10th. I should get a good amount from my gelding, he's a dark tan color. There's a cool grey-blue colored one as well. I like his look. Then we have a black, an orange cream type color, as well as a light brown Suri. The Suri is a geriatric rescue who's dreadfully thin, so I'm not sure his fiber will be worth much.

We just got them a month ago and with kidding season and work in full swing, I've not had much time to research fiber and how to clean, card, and work with it at all. By next year, I plan to do much more. But for now, it'll really be about getting it gone to someone who can use it.

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
AdoptAPitBull said:
No idea yet. They're all being shorn around April 10th. I should get a good amount from my gelding, he's a dark tan color. There's a cool grey-blue colored one as well. I like his look. Then we have a black, an orange cream type color, as well as a light brown Suri. The Suri is a geriatric rescue who's dreadfully thin, so I'm not sure his fiber will be worth much.

We just got them a month ago and with kidding season and work in full swing, I've not had much time to research fiber and how to clean, card, and work with it at all. By next year, I plan to do much more. But for now, it'll really be about getting it gone to someone who can use it.
cool... I'm interested! let me know when you know what you want for it when you're ready...

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OK, great! I will send you a PM with photos after they are shorn.

pennylove

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've never spun Lionhead wool, but I suppose you could. They don't shed much, though, so I imagine you'd have to shear them to get decent staple length. It sounds like more work than it's worth to me, but that's just my opinion: )