A Quick Question

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We just brought our new female rabbit home and she is adjusting much better than expected. She is very gentle, eating, and curious about her next door neighbor (hopefully her future boyfriend). There are many of you who are very knowledgeable about bunnies here, so I wanted to ask and see about how long I should wait and let her adjust before trying to breed her? She is already full grown, and as mentioned she has a great personality and seems to be fitting in smoothly.

I'm just a bit nervous because we have had really bad luck with rabbits lately. The first female we got was pregnant twice, each time only delivering one baby and they both did not live. She even tried to eat the second one... The second female absolutely refused to take to a breeding, and never got pregnant. SO I just want to try and have a successful pair this time and try to do what I can to help make it work out.

Any ideas or thoughts?

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
agree with hens and roos, give her a good week to get use to the move, the new food and things and then introduce her to her new feller.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bunnylady - I did not quarantine her because I actually got her from my best friend who has had her for a few months now. She updated me on how she was health wise and since there were no problems, I moved her out near him. They do have a wall dividing them both, though.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
To be receptive to be bred, Check the condition of the doe's vulva... if it is slightly swollen and red , it is time to breed. If it is small and slightly pink/ whitish , she will not breed no matter how long she is kept to aclimate to the new place / feed or next to a buck .

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bossroo - Thank you! I remember this now that you mentioned it- checking to make sure she will be receptive.

Latest posts