A set milking schedule?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh...I can’t even imagine a trip!! I’m already stressing about going to Pgh for thanksgiving, because we’ll be gone all day.....I can’t ask anyone to do it....it’d take a week to teach someone how to care for the animals, and then I’d not be able to enjoy myself! Last year, we didn’t have the kids, or so many pigs, I wasn’t milking.it was easie4 to leave for the day.

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've found someone who is fully excited to take care of them, and she's already had loads of experience with her own chickens and ducks, and has helped care for goats, quite a bit, so the only thing I have to teach her is the milking and our routine. Otherwise, I'd either have to either stay home, or dry Marley up - and that is just crazy. Right now, I'm sitting on the ground, to milk her, because she's tiny (Nigora), and I still haven't built my stanchion - so all the grooming & shearing is also done with me sitting on the ground.

Last edited:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yikes...my hubby built my milk stand..well..not right away, I had to nag him, but he built it, within a few weeks of getting goats. It makes all of the chores, the shots, the hooves, etc, so much easier. I do wish I had a tiny head holder for the kids..I can’t do their hooves without holding them, I’m all bruised up..ugh...plus, the shots...ugh..sometimes they flinch and we get, slightly off...ugh....

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hubby - a retired chef - was born and raised in the suburbs, never knew farm life. His parents were professionals, so paid others to deal with handyman & mechanical stuff:idunno. My upbringing was VERY different - entirely blue collar. I was both 'daddy's little girl' and 'my dad's only son', until he married my step mom, lol. Plus, my step dad was in construction. I used to do all my own auto mechanic work(computerized cars really tick me off, lol), and I've always kept my own power tools, so we do our chores a little differently. Seeing me in work boots, with a tool belt & him in an apron, calling me in to dinner is very common. ;)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, that’s soooo funny..I was the ‘rich kid’ in the fancy dance suberbs, with the dad..CEO..etc...Chris was raised...rough and tumble....he was a contractor until 40..,then retired..bought apartments....he loves to make and rebuild old trucks...but, not since we built the farm...oops! But, he’s the grower...so, we were growing farmers wayyy before I was allowed to get the animals...it all started with a couple of rabbits..poor guy! When we first met, I could NOT IMAGINE coming up to live on a farm...it was dusty...there was misc. Stuff...around...you know...guy stuff...I was sooo fancy...I would get a little dirty, and run to wash up...🤣🤣🤣🤣. We have a dirt race track...oh geez..anyways...yes...the milking schedule is going much better. My niece is coming for the afternoon...I politely asked if we should have a lunch picnic, or dinner picnic...so I could find out when to milk🤣🤣❤️❤️🐐🐐🐐

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, that’s soooo funny..I was the ‘rich kid’ in the fancy dance suberbs, with the dad..CEO..etc...Chris was raised...rough and tumble....he was a contractor until 40..,then retired..bought apartments....he loves to make and rebuild old trucks...but, not since we built the farm...oops! But, he’s the grower...so, we were growing farmers wayyy before I was allowed to get the animals...it all started with a couple of rabbits..poor guy! When we first met, I could NOT IMAGINE coming up to live on a farm...it was dusty...there was misc. Stuff...around...you know...guy stuff...I was sooo fancy...I would get a little dirty, and run to wash up...🤣🤣🤣🤣. We have a dirt race track...oh geez..anyways...yes...the milking schedule is going much better. My niece is coming for the afternoon...I politely asked if we should have a lunch picnic, or dinner picnic...so I could find out when to milk🤣🤣❤❤🐐🐐🐐
Glad it's working out better, now!