A share: system for keeping rabbit water unfrozen

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Hi all,

My dear husband has fallen in love with rabbits, who unlike my goats, all have their own pen, feed dish, and waterer. As he has been working a great deal lately, I have been doing the household and barn stuff a lot and now that the weather is below zero, this water nonsense has had me a little annoyed. I sure don't want to go buying a bunch of individual heated bowls at $30 each and then have to figure out where to plug in 10 bowls. So I got to looking and found something I think I am going to be building tomorrow!

It is for chickens of course, but with a mid of modification of the rabbit pens, I think this just might do the trick!

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is just excellent! For just a small handful of rabbits, the heated bottles are good, but they are pricey. For larger production, this is definately the way to go. one could insulate the pipes (if it is a long run) and protect with hardware cloth if within reach of the bunnies. I would also have the pump take up at opposite ends of the cooler from the return, just to ensure the warmest water is going out. How cold of temps has this system operated under?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Oh gosh, I never did get around to it. Bought the buckets, the pvc, the nipples, and other stuff and it is still sitting in bags. Shortly after posting this, the big decision to sell the house and build was made so kinda got pushed aside. Guess I will be adding this back to our To Do list.

Latest posts