A suggestion for a forum / subforum

redtailgal

Reaction score
SOoooooo, is this something we are still thinking about?

Is there anything we, as members, can do to make it happen? I know that I would be glad to do whatever I can, even if it's just a trial run.

Let's continue this discussion, see what sort of problems we can come up with and hash out some answers.

We've heard Nifty's concerns, are there concerns or suggestions from other members?

C'mon, folks, dont let this die out without more consideration. If we could do this and do this properly, it would be a good growth for our online community.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It's still being discussed / considered. But we'd love to hear more feedback / suggestions / opinions from the members.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think a general ER section would be great. Do the 'read this before posting' warning and maybe after 3 days delete if the post hasn't any follow through or been resolved. If it seems as though it would be useful for future reference, then move it to the appropriate place. As has been said, many of us could possibly be of some help, but don't look at other herd animals. (Personally, I just don't want to get G.A.S.--had it for years and could easily relapse!).

I would like to see more stickies (and would like to help with the cattle one). RTG has an excellent Scour program, but if you don't know to look for her sign. line? I wonder too if we could have a sticky with a link to a discussion/debate on the sticky subject. Possibly edited so it's a succinct look at it. Like RTG and I agree on not giving milk to a scouring calf, but the current vet advise seems to be you should. And RTG believes in getting calves on buckets, I don't. Maybe we could have a few sentences with reasons/links?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Cricket said:
I would like to see more stickies (and would like to help with the cattle one). RTG has an excellent Scour program, but if you don't know to look for her sign. line? I wonder too if we could have a sticky with a link to a discussion/debate on the sticky subject. Possibly edited so it's a succinct look at it. Like RTG and I agree on not giving milk to a scouring calf, but the current vet advise seems to be you should. And RTG believes in getting calves on buckets, I don't. Maybe we could have a few sentences with reasons/links?
We can probably figure something out for this to simplify things and streamline what you're looking for :)
Why not start a thread and we can discuss it.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Let me try again. Say someone thinks they might have an emergency, say a big lump with pus running out of it. What if there was a place they could go that would refer them to the thread on Lumpy jaw that Farmerboy started. So there would be a 'classic example' of different topics. It would maybe give people a starting point for research and also prevent panic emergency posts. Or say someone had a cow that calved and stopped eating and didn't seem to want to get up, but they thought it wasn't a big deal and they'd check on her tomorrow. But just for kicks and grins, decided to see if there was any threads on it. The 'classic example' link to the thread would let them know that they could have an emergency on their hands. Just a thought.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Cricket said:
Let me try again. Say someone thinks they might have an emergency, say a big lump with pus running out of it. What if there was a place they could go that would refer them to the thread on Lumpy jaw that Farmerboy started. So there would be a 'classic example' of different topics. It would maybe give people a starting point for research and also prevent panic emergency posts. Or say someone had a cow that calved and stopped eating and didn't seem to want to get up, but they thought it wasn't a big deal and they'd check on her tomorrow. But just for kicks and grins, decided to see if there was any threads on it. The 'classic example' link to the thread would let them know that they could have an emergency on their hands. Just a thought.
That's a wonderful idea. If I understand you correctly you're wanting to start a sticky index of diseases in each disease section. If you or any other members want to assist with it shoot me a PM and we can get that started.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Great discussion peeps!

After a big of chatting between the staff, we've decided to rename the "Injuries and Cures" forum to "Emergencies, Injuries and Cures".

We should add some descriptive text below that section to make it clear what should and shouldn't be in there.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Nifty said:
Great discussion peeps!

After a big of chatting between the staff, we've decided to rename the "Injuries and Cures" forum to "Emergencies, Injuries and Cures".
:thumbsup
We should add some descriptive text below that section to make it clear what should and shouldn't be in there.
How about:

Have an emergency? Post it here! An issue is considered an emergency if the very life of the animal or it's offspring is at stake. (For example: Lice is not an emergency and should go in the appropriate diseases forum)