Abandoned Goat - Starving? Worms? Not Sure...

BarnyardBlast

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
A quick update - I'm very pleased with how well the goats are doing. I'm beginning to believe that dehydration might have played a part in their appearance. They are still thin and the one above in particular - but there is a noticeable difference. My daughter helps with the evening chores and she commented to me that the goats were pushing each other trying to drink as much water as possible when she fills it back up. (They always have access to water, but seem to become thirsty all over again when we're filling it. I try not to pour it over their heads, but when it happens, they don't even pause drinking). I had noticed the same eagerness to drink.

I stopped by the vet's office on Friday. I showed the pictures to the receptionist who called one of the techs to look at them. The vet was out of town doing something with 200 head of cattle and wasn't expected back until next week, but they offered to text the pictures to him. About five minutes after I left the office, they called and told me that he had called them back and ordered some medicine for the goat. He said that he could come out next week, but until then, to give her an antibiotic and a wormer. I picked those up and gave them to her Friday.

I cut back on the feed just slightly and gave extra hay (and mixed in a bit of alfalfa and timothy grass). I've been using the probios supplement and various minerals (the goat minerals bag that TS sells). They also get an animal cookie every morning and night. They seem very happy to see us. :) They are still skittish while eating and startle easily.

I haven't been able to go back next door because of the bull at the gate. (I can't remember if I mentioned it, but the cow is inside of the gate and the bull on the outside of the gate. We had to stop, less than 10 feet from the bull, open the gate, drive in, close the gate and continue on. He doesn't seem all that excited about letting us get back in and I'm not ready to challenge him.) Although there are very few neighbors (due to the acreage sizes), they are becoming unhappy about an animal that size that is free to wander onto anyone's property even though he hasn't done so yet. I'm going to try again tomorrow (my husband has friends coming over who offered to go with us) but I'm worried about getting trapped between some of the larger animals in their urgency to see if we have food. They don't look aggressive, but they are hungry and rushing us to see if we have food.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't understand people that can walk off and leave animals to get food "now and then"; that's just wrong. I am glad that the ones in your care are looking better...maybe it is time to contact animal control about the others.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What Babs said... sounds to me like this is a much bigger situation than you as a single family might want to tackle... Animal control (or much as I hate to suggest it; ASPCA) should probably be called to intervene. They have the resources and equipment to handle the bull, as well as any other animals that have been left behind. They'll ensure they are collected and cared for properly and if charges need to be pressed against the owners who deserted these animals, they will have the evidence required to make it stick. They might not if you are in there improving the situation before they get involved.

Glad the goats you rescued are improving. Hope it continues.

BarnyardBlast

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - I have another question. I'm trying to look inside the eyelid for color. I've tried a few times and it's been a bit of a struggle. (They are mostly okay with touch, but pushing/pulling meets with resistance). I finally was able to look at them and the inside looks mostly white (for all three goats, but the one we're discussing is the worst). I think there was a light pink line, but very thin. I'm looking at the Famacha chart and it doesn't look at all like the normal eye, but wasn't quite as bad as the worst ones.

My question is that the 'corner' of the eye is showing? I've googled and I think it's the third eyelid. Also, it has black spots? This doesn't appear to be trash in the eye. This is on both eyes. I'm attaching a picture. I wasn't pulling down on the eyelid, the white part is showing. (None of the other goats have this). Any suggestions? I'm taking a quick nap and then going to Tractor Supply. The vet is coming out this week, but if this is something significant, I can text his office the picture to speed things up.

IMG_2188 (1).JPG

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really have no idea on the eyelid. I know in a cat it usually means that they are sick but I have seen some really sick goats and no third eyelid. I don't think I would be too worried about that right now.

Can you take a fecal sample to the vet before they come out? That way he can administer the proper meds while he is there. Sounds like they' need wormed.

BarnyardBlast

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, and that's a great idea. I can get that done tomorrow. She has already been given both a wormer and antibiotic (she's also getting probios). I was trying to figure out if there was anything to help her if she's anemic. I feel so bad for her.

BarnyardBlast

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good Morning! Someone from the sheriff's dept and a rescue organization came out yesterday. They had heard that I had taken in the goats from next door.

They said that they had stopped by the neighbor's house and the horse had been moved elsewhere. The only animals left are the cattle (which had acres of land to graze and plenty of water) and two dogs in a yard (also with plenty of food and water). They said that they planned to contact the neighbors to see if they needed any help to re-home the two dogs but otherwise, things were fine next door. They said the goat yard (next door) was in pitiful shape. There was little for them to eat (hay/forage) and their bedding was slimy and soiled. They asked to look at the goats and agreed that they were probably carrying a heavy parasite load. (The rescue worker noticed the Red Cell I had just purchased and agreed that it would be great for them). They wanted to know if I planned on keeping them and I said that they would be staying here.

They stayed for about an hour, talking. (Admittedly, we went off track a bit talking about animals and 4H and kids of the human variety. And, they wanted to look at the animals and I'm proud of our little farm). They requested that I contact them if I noticed anything unusual. We are trying to figure out if anyone is actually living there. (It's almost too confusing to explain the property situation behind us).

I also heard from the vet. He said that he would come out next week (approximately fourteen days from when I first wormed them and gave them antibiotics) and see how they looked. He's going to re-worm and draw blood (or whatever he needs) for testing. I've always kept a closed herd of registered Nigerian Dwarf goats purchased from only one farm (who also tests yearly) and I also test yearly. My fingers are crossed that nothing overly nasty has been brought in. I'm worming all of the goats and paying close attention to the two in that share a fence line with my new ones.

Latest posts