Abcess on udder - tell me it's not a CL site. *UPDATE* pg 4

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My doe, Jasmine, has a nasty looking abcess on her udder. I don't know how long it's been there, I've not milked her since just before Christmas. I would have noticed while milking her so it definitely wasn't there then.

I'm trying not to freak out, but despite my best efforts, I AM!!! :barnie

From what I could gather it's not a normal site for CL, but I'm rather new and I want more reassurance. Here's a couple pics I took today:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

So, how bad is this? I'm calling the vet in the morning, but I have a kid (human) with a tooth that needs to be pulled tomorrow, so vet trip will have to wait until Tuesday.

I'm hoping you can all tell me it's not likely CL (pretty please! - but don't lie to me either) and let me know the best way to handle this. I've read of lancing and draining, but then I've also read lancing can make matters worse - invite more infection (provided it's not CL :fl)

So what do ya think? Break it to me gently if it's bad news.

adoptedbyachicken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OK keep in mind that I have no goats, just thinking about getting them, and so doing some reading from time to time. I do recall reading that they can be on the udder, and think it was this page that I recall, where it says:

Caseous Lymphadenitis in goats is a world-wide problem which continues to baffle scientists striving to find either a prevention or a cure . . . neither of which currently exists. Infection occurs through wounds caused by head butting, punctures, and shearing, by ingestion, and even occasionally via inhalation. Internal abscesses can cause major health problems. The disease can affect the lungs, liver, and kidneys; respiration may become rapid and difficult, and infertility can result from scrotal abscesses in males. Udder abscesses in females can seriously deplete milk production. External abscesses are most common under the ears in the head and neck region of the goat's body, while internal abscesses appear most often in the lungs. In decreasing percentages of frequency, external abscesses are found under the ear, on the shoulder, on the flank, and in the udder/scrotum areas.

All abscesses on goats are not necessarily CL abscesses. The bacterium actinomyces pyogenes also produces a fast-growing nodule, but it contains a smelly, greenish pus. A simple and inexpensive test can be done on blood samples or pus (exudate) to determine the bacterium causing the abscess. Most nodules . . . as high as 90% or more . . . . . are CL abscesses.
So on one hand is says that the location is last to be likely, yet in total 90% of them are. All you can do is wait to have it tested I guess, if she has no other abscess locations or history testing would be the only way I have heard of to know.

Hope someone with some real experience in this gets back to you soon!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I don't have an knowledge for you on this.

I'm just hoping that it is not :fl

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I don't THINK so...probably a staph abcess. I'd just have it cultured and find out how to treat.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would tend to agree with Kate as it does look more like Staph than CL.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Doesn't "look" like CL to me, but...I'd get it tested.
My guess would be an injury abscess....but that's JUST a guess.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G.day7W,We used to see these type of things on the goats (when we used to have dairy goats)......But I had occasion to treat 2 ewe's at xmas with the very same thing ,only mine were 'huge' at the front of the udder and the full width,I had found in years gone by the best thing was to not touch it until it 'burst' and then clean out all the 'junk' and leave it to drain and seal up naturally....................In the case of the 2 ewe's ,who ,by the way were both still feeding lambs (1 with twins and the other with a single).I saw them the other day none the worst for it ,still with there lambs in-tow and the only thing was the incident had caused was a break in the wool and they had shed 6mths fleece.
..........................Hope you have a good outcome,regards T.O.R.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That sets me a little more at ease. I'll phone the vet today. He doesn't "specialize" in goats but is willing to see them, what ever that means. Hopefully he can reassure me. I didn't sleep well last night, worried over this, hence the reason I'm up at 4 am and on the 'puter again researching it.

thanks for taking a look!

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Except for a sterile abscess at a CDT injection site, it's not something we've experienced. But I'd certainly have my vet test it and find out for sure. Keep us updated.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
It looks more oozy an open than a regular under-the-skin abscess. I tend to think staph as well. It's easy to clear up. Just go to the pharmacy and get some Ammens powder. Put on the udder twice a day for a few days and it clears right up. The dairy goat forum I'm on also recommends vaccinating with Lysignin but I never did and it hasn't been a problem since.