Abcess on udder - tell me it's not a CL site. *UPDATE* pg 4

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i cant be more happy for you and your goaties, this thread brought many tears.... I am so happy for you.....

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well-- Hooray and Praise the Lord and Hallaluyah!!

I know the degree of concern you had. I was just beside myself when I thought Felicia had a CL bump, and it was just an injection site!!

DonnaBelle

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
And I'm totally ok with anyone who wants to say "I told you so!!!" I deserve it, so I welcome it!!!!
:gig I did on the other post before I saw this!

Listen...it's not a BAD thing you were so worried...of course any conscientious goat owner would be concerned. I was just hoping you'd be able to calm your soul until you had test results.

And I just knew it was staph :p

CONGRATS!

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear it's not CL, that's a relief for you!

If it WAS...the disease is not transferred through milk, saliva, etc. It is only transferred by contact with the contents of an abscess. So if you have a positive doe, you can bottle feed the kids and keep them separate from her if she's got an active abscess and they will be fine. Many goat dairies have CL positive does and keep them in the herd. My neighbor has quite a few CL does but she pulls and bottle feeds all the kids, and they are not getting infected, she vaccinates them before putting retained doelings back into the doe herd, and she's slowly culling out the older infected does. When an older doe gets an abscess, she lances it, catches and disposes of the contents, cleans the wound thoroughly and puts them back in the doe pen. She has a dairy license to sell to the public and there is no problem with consuming raw milk from a CL doe. Many, many people do it every day.

I brought in a doe that turned out while in quarantine to have CL, and I chose to remove her from my herd because my other does are clean (and also vaccinated) and I didn't want to bring it in to an already clean herd. I do vaccinate all my kids for it since I have a lot of contact with my neighbor's positive goats. I kept the daughter of the positive doe I got, and she tested negative despite being dam-raised so I vaccinated her and put her in my herd.

So...it CAN be managed, it's just a pain to do so. If you can get a clean herd to start with, that's much better than having to manage CL until you can get rid of it, but, in my neighbor's case, there is such low selection of quality dairy goats in the state that she bought positive does KNOWING they were positive to start her herd with, because that is what there was available. I had to bring my does in from out of state, and since they were from a commercial dairy/show farm they had negative paperwork for everything in existence.

adoptedbyachicken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Way cool! Fingers crossed for the final results! Are they testing both or just the one on the udder?

Latest posts