Abcess on udder - tell me it's not a CL site. *UPDATE* pg 4

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very glad to hear it's not CL. I know you were devastated. I know you were putting your family first and I understand were you were coming from. To be honest everyone has to handle situations their own way and what works for one doesn't work for another. No put downs here ...I've have had to make some tough decisions over the years and am sure there will be many more. (((HUGS))) So excited for you!

edited for spelling blooper

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is so great when the things we worry about never happen. I am very happy for you. Enjoy your goats and your babies that are coming soon. That is great news.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
adoptedbyachicken said:
Way cool! Fingers crossed for the final results! Are they testing both or just the one on the udder?
I asked him if we should test the second when he tested the first and because it was so much smaller he didn't. I kinda wanted to, just to be sure. The one on her udder was so "ripe" that it burst as he was prepping to lance it - caught him a little off guard I think. I put her in the stanchion today to clean her udder again and blue kote it then checked the one on her back and it had opened up on it's own - it was already dried up, so it must have happened yesterday. I cleaned it and put blue kote there too, just for good measure.

He said when they call with the final results it will mainly be to tell us what it's susceptible to - by that I'm guessing it means what antibiotic works on it. He did say because these weren't large he wouldn't even use an antibiotic but would suggest treating topically instead - does that sound right? He said there's a small chance they could still find something more but it's not likely. I really appreciate that he called me today instead of waiting for the final report - I was calm and collected when I was in his office but he knew that we were concerned.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad to hear the initial testing was negative!!!!!! :clap

Im also glad you can relax a bit!!! Best thoughts for Mondays final!!!

Its scarry stuff and I would stress too!!! Glad you had this place to get some of it out!!!

I wish all the best to you and your herd!!! Give your goaties a hug from me too!! :hugs

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
He did say because these weren't large he wouldn't even use an antibiotic but would suggest treating topically instead - does that sound right?
Yep, sounds right. Like I mentioned before, Ammens powder is commonly used to treat it and it works great. You could also give her a Lysigin vaccine as well. You can find Ammens in the drug store, it's just a medicated powder like Gold Bond.

adoptedbyachicken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Since you suspect that she had one previously, due to the bald spot she had when you got her I kinda wish he had tested both for you. Oh well, many times before I have done the same with my critters, wished later that I had tested something more. Usually it's the other way, they want to test more than I have the wallet for.

If it's really a needed test, as in the one on her udder is just an injury and the body ones are a concern you will have another opportunity to have a test done, because there will be more. No harm in waiting if you look at it from the point of view that if she is positive you have CL anyway, and if not you don't.

ETA yes abscesses in my experience are always treated locally, by definition the body has isolated that infection to a pocket thus systemic antibiotics will not be helpful.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The bald spot on the back leg was on my other doe. It was me tying both those possible clues together that had me most concerned, since both does came from the same herd. According to the vet staph is something that lives on our skin all the time, usually we can keep an infection at bay if our immune systems are functioning well. The stress of the move could have made her more prone to the infection. My does have seemed very itchy/scratchy lately - chewing on themselves, lots of rubbing against straw bales and such. More and more I'm suspecting an external bugger that's causing them to scratch to the point of breaking the skin, allowing the infection to take hold.

I know it's not 100% accurate but I'm going to draw blood to test for CAE, CL, and johnes - if those tests come back negative along with the swab test I'll feel much more confident. Until then next thing gets me going.......

edited to make sense, shouldn't try to post with a 3 yr old climbing all over me! I really should proof read more often.

adoptedbyachicken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
Until then next thing gets me going.......
Welcome to my world. :lol:

I think the bloodwork is a great way to put your mind at ease. For me anyway knowing where I'm at is peace. Even if the news is not what I wanted, at least I know. Others would rather be unaware, like my DH, not knowing is better to him.

aforestchild

Just born
Reaction score
Have it tested, I bet anything it is NOT CL. These type of cysts form when some sort of organism (usually staph) enters the udder from a small wound. I've had this in my herd and each case the doe had some sort of small puncture wound. These cysts will spread all through that one side of the udder and the scar tissue that forms will destroy the mammary tissue on that side. However, to treat: glove up and drain any cysts that are starting to drain. Use a mild betadine (spelling?) solution with a large syringe and spray it in the open wound. Treat with Naxcel for 5 to 7 days. I've found that Naxcel is the only thing that dries these cysts up. Sometimes the treatment must be repeated. I had one doe that it took me nearly a year for her to clear up and another doe it took only 2 weeks to clear them all up. Good luck.

Latest posts