Abnormal large lump on goat flank in ~36 hours time. Ideas?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
2 days ago as I was feeding the goats their evening pellets, I was setting out their food bowls inside their pen when a dead tree was blown down by the wind, inside their pen. All the goats were in the area and scattered but some may have been "nicked" by branches as the tree came to rest. I didn't actually see any get hit directly, but did watch the tree come down and hit the ground. This morning, while feeding the goats their pellets, I noticed that one of this years kids (PB&J, CC's single doeling from this April) had a palm sized "lump" on her flank, aft of her rib cage and down below her spinal area. Here are pictures from this evening:
upload_2018-8-30_19-22-36-png.51745

And slightly closer view.
upload_2018-8-30_19-24-49-png.51746

She did NOT like me touching/probing it but I was able to get hold of her & feel it and it is smooth, NOT hard, "jiggly" like jello/pudding, does not seem to be causing her undue stress or pain, she's eating, drinking, moving, pooping, etc, not grinding teeth or crying, even when being touched there.

Possible hernia? but doesn't "feel" like intestines. Not disease as happened over night, too large, wrong placement. Possible contusion/hematoma from getting hit by tree branch when tree fell, or head butt?

Should I pierce with syringe and see what comes out? Worried about poss contamination /sepsis if it IS intestines and I pierce with a needle... Really don't need a goat surgery bill right now, but then who does?

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
She's doing just fine... keeping her distance from the others so they don't bump her, and she still doesn't like me touching it, but it hasn't changed, still there, still the same size, no obvious puncture wound, still "jiggly"...

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't think me touching it "hurts", but kinda freaks her out a bit because it's not normal... No fever, no significant changes in any facet of her everyday life :idunno

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of my does who I sold last year had something similar (I don’t remember if it was her right or left side). It wasn’t as big. She had it since I bought her and it never seemed to bother her and would sometimes go away a little bit of I remember correctly. I had her for about a year and a half.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks GAF. Did you ever try to lance it to see what was inside?

Latest posts