about our members

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
im a 4th generation farmer cattlemen an retired dairymen.we milked cows for 27yrs before we sold out.farmed for a few years grew wheat for the dairy cows an heifers for winter grazing.great grandpa had a well know reg horned hereford for years. dad had beef cows an reg horned herefords.then decided to build a dairy an milk cows.ive had reg polled herefords.an now i have reg beefmasters.have a 400ac farm.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My DH and I have been farming for 20 years now. Before that I worked on the neighbors dairy farm for 4 years plus several summers before that. I stay home on the farm with our two DDs and DH works in a feedmill. He grewup on a dairy farm. My family is a long line of farmers but it skipped two generations-which did construction and car repair as well as other occupations.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We're getting a bunch of new members so, I thought I would revitalize this thread. If you have started your own thread introducing yourself, feel free to copy and paste the post telling us about you, into this one. It would be kind of neat to have them all together.

BigSkyChickie

Just born
Reaction score
(copied from my intro thread)

My name is Megan and I live in MT with my hubby, 2 kids (DD is 2 1/2, DS is 10 months), border collie, 2 kittens, 39 chickens, and 2 guineas. Oh, and a whole mess of black Angus.

I just got the chickens this year, and so far I love them. We've been tossing around the idea of a family milk cow and have decided we're going to definitely get one. Not sure when, DS has a milk allergy and we're hoping that it resolves soon. I don't exactly need to deal with those two things at the same time right now.

My paternal family ranches and my children are the sixth generation on Dh's family ranch.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I live in extreme NE South Dakota. I've lived here all my life. My wife is from the same town. We have four children (one still in college, one is a school teacher, and the two older are medical doctors), five granddaughters, and another grandchild on the way in April.

I worked for a large seed company for 20 years. Was a certified crop advisor, and also raised cattle. I now work as a sales representative for a large cattle insemination company (Genex Cooperative). I inseminate hundreds of cows each year for ranchers who hire me. I have also been a EMT for 19 years.

My wife is a laboratory technician for our local ethanol plant. She is also a medic, and a great mom and grandmother.

We have a small but high quality herd of Simmental/Angus cattle. We market quite a few of our calves for breeding stock each year. I have been experimenting with breeding a very few of our cows to "club calf" bulls. I also inseminated a couple cows to Wagyu bulls this summer. I am very anxious to see how these experiments turn out next year.

A very important part of our cattle ration is by-products from the ethanol plant. It is tremendous feed, and is much cheaper than feeding grain. The biggest problem I have with it is that I get a lot of twin calves. In our situation, twins are not a good thing.

I look forward to exchanging ideas with my fellow cattle breeders.

chickennoodles

Just born
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here as well, and pretty new to forums, posting messages and such. Hope I can figure out the tech stuff ok.
I grew up on a dairy farm in central Utah, and am now married and live in Northern Utah and missing the farm, so we are slowly transforming our 1.69 acres into a mini farm. I work for a regional feed coop, am trained as a Dairy nutritionist, so I know the booklearning, and am always learning the practical and common sense everyday so I can help my customers and someday apply to my own cows.
We got chickens this year, so that has been new and a fun diversion. We try to garden and are still adapting to the seemingly subarctic climate of the area.
I have always milked cows in a large group and with machines, so I am not sure about one lonely cow and possibly hand milking when I have a busy schedule and work full time, but I am pretty anxious to have my own milk source, especially when the economy seems pretty scary these days.
look forward to learning and laughing with you all!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome.gif

There are small setups for milking one or a few cows so, you wouldn't have to milk by hand.

Have you checked out our sister sites? They are linked below. There is one for chickens, one for gardening, and one for just being self sufficient.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im originally from New England, but now live in W. WA with DH. I work for myself as a Commercial Interior Designer, and a horseback riding instructor/trainer. I guess Im also a farmer since we now have 7 head of Highlands with 2 more in the oven, and a whole bunch of farm animals.

ponying.jpg

This is a 4 yo filly that I just broke to ride.
walking2-1.jpg

DH was a city boy, works as a finance manager. He never imagined he would ever own cattle! :lol: