1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Abscess or??? On "chest"

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by Sendhendrix, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Sep 14, 2017
    Eteda

Eteda Overrun with beasties

I honestly have no idea. I blew up the pic to get a close up view but still cant figure it out. I do not think it is a pressure sore as i did at first. maybe a swollen lymph node or gland. let us know when you find out. im curious to learn.

2. Sep 15, 2017
    promiseacres

promiseacres True BYH Addict

Is the right size for a warble but there will be an air hole and it's fairly firm. If it was me I would use a needle to check it. It could just be a fatty deposit if still soft...

3. Sep 15, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

That's a tough one to diagnose sitting in my recliner.....I know, no help to you. She is a nice doe.

4. Sep 15, 2017
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

If you do lance it, make sure someone with gloves, long sleeves & pants holds her very securely. If a rabbit has room to wiggle n squirm, they have room to break a leg.

5. Oct 5, 2017
    Sendhendrix

Sendhendrix Just born

Well obviously it's been a couple of weeks since I posted the pic. I cut her feed a little bit and had resolved to sample it with a syringe to confirm it as an abscess and treat by lancing/debriding and also a regimen of penicillin G sub-Q. Then I saw a promising ad on Craigslist for some quality NZW nearby, and decided to possibly treat the abscess by culling her, even though she's such a sweet little mutt. So I went out to check on her tonight, got her out and flipped her....I'll be darned if the lump hasn't shrunk so much it's nearly difficult to find. I guess I'll give it a couple more weeks. If it disappears I'll put her back to work. Maybe it was a fat deposit, maybe it was an infection/abscess that ran its course and reabsorbed? I don't know. Like I keep saying, I'm new to rabbits.

And thanks, secuono...the girl can be rather explosive just with normal handling. I'm sometimes amazed she's survived as long as she has, considering how she seems at times determined to have me drop her on the concrete patio. I can't imagine taking a blade to her! Hence my waiting and watching the local ads.

6. Oct 5, 2017
    Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave True BYH Addict

When abnormalities pop up, even being seasoned, doesn't necessarily make it easier to dx. It may or may not be something already experienced. So much of the time, it's just taking a guess. The penicillin sub-q does help in a lot of cases. When I had a doe with mastitis, had to foster out the litter and treat. Once treatment over, had to wait a month before rebreeding. She's been fine since.