Abscess (possbily CLA)

peskygoat

Just born
Reaction score
I'm new to goats this year so Im learning as I go. I got to nubian sisters in March and we've been getting to know eachother well.

One of the girls started to develop an abscess in the summer and it was about the size of a baseball when I lanced it today. I suspected that it might be CLA and I think it was. The puss was white-ish and the consistency of tooth paste with no odour. She has is now separated from her sister until she heals. They don't like that arrangement at all but c'est la vie.

The goat in question is slightly smaller than her sister but that could be because she is a picky eater. Her sister eats anything.

I think the two are pregnant and if so then they would be due at the end of March.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible this isn't CLA? The person I bought them from tells me she has never seen an abscess in her goats before. If this is CLA I find that hard to believe.
2. Will the kids have CLA? Should she not nurse her kids?
3. Will she be good for milking or meat?

If you have any advice please let me know.

Thanks.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
You have to have the contents of the abscess tested to verify CL.

TRUST ME, lots of folks lie about their CL status...otherwise nobody else would get it. She may not even know she had / has it if she bought a goat with it "on" them, and it spread it to this doe before you bought it.

The only time they are contagious is while it's open / leaking. Anything she touches is "contaminated"...the area where it was lanced is now "contaminated".

Once it heals over, completely, she isn't contagious anymore, but if it is CL, she will get more. You may not see them because they could be internal, but there will be more.

Internal abscesses can burst and cause them to cough, and each cough can spread the bacteria quite far.

If she has none open, you could let her nurse the kids...but I wouldn't. I'd pull them at birth and bottle raise them if you want to 'guarantee' they're clean. She can't transmit CL to the kids through her milk but if the bacteria is alive on her anywhere, and it touches their umbilical cord or they lick it...they could catch it as well.

Depending on where the abscesses are, her meat may be ok...a big one like you described would probably leave a good-sized scar that could be seen when she's skinned. That is a cull factor at USDA sites, but lots of 'backyard' butchers tell me they just "cut around it"...*gag*

You won't necessarily catch CL from her milk, but if you have a cut on your hand and touch the bacteria...you can catch it.

CL is a cull factor in most herds...but that decision has to be up to you.

Is it possible it's not CL? Yes...it's possible.

If it were me, I'd squeeze more out and have it tested.

(I've been there / done that, so feel free to pm me if you have more questions...)

peskygoat

Just born
Reaction score
CLA = CASEOUS LYMPHADENITIS ABSCESS

Roll Farms ... thanks for the excellent response. I'm debating having the contents tested. I haven't looked for a goat vet yet but this might be the catalyst.

Cheers.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Where was the abscess located?

For one to get as big as a baseball and the exudate to be toothpaste consistency....really sounds like CL.

If I were you, my next step would be vaccinating everyone else with Case-Bac.. It's a sheep vaccine, and there's still some debate about using it on goats, but I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.

I actually ordered Case-Bac some time ago, but haven't yet given it. No particular reason, other than I just never got around to it. We haven't had a case of CL, nor do we anticipate any.....I actually ordered the stuff just to be safe.

Someone else here can tell you about using it, I'm sure.