AClark kidding thread

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a thread for our 2018 babies.

Dahlia had triplets on 1/23/2018. Two bucklings and a doeling. Sorry for the "ick" picture, she was still passing the placenta. I know, not good quality either but I lack lighting in the barn and they were born just after dark.

Other does due to kid this year:
Buttercup (pygmy) due any day now
Ruby due in April
Clara - June 10
Maggie - June 11
Bonnie - June 11
Betty - ?
Josette -
Sarah -

That's if they all took, I'll pull blood in a month or so to confirm.

IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG

Last edited:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are incredibly cute, I love their little voices. I can't wait until I have my Nubian and Nubian/Boer babies this summer, the ears get me every time.
I honestly couldn't believe how tiny these guys were. Well first I expected twins by the size of Dolly, and then when I first went out, I rushed back in the house and told DH we had 1, came back out with a couple of towels and a teenager and then text DH from the barn to tell him I can't count and there were 3.
I wasn't expecting them at the time they were born, I had only been back in the house for an hour. When I fed, Dolly was just hanging out, whining at me like she had since lunch time, same string of shavings covered goo hanging off her, and no noticeable contractions. Then I guess everything went all at once. Had I been 10 minutes earlier I would have caught at least the last one being born, as he was still soaked and slimy. Doeling was born first, then the pink nosed buck, then the buck with the white butt - at least as far as I can tell by how clean they were.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I pulled the babies this morning. I feel kind of bad about it, Momma isn't happy, but it is what it is. I have all 3 in my guest bathroom right now, waiting on them to be hungry enough to start on a bottle.
We'll try her first milking this afternoon before I feed. I'm not sure how well my hands are going to hold up to it, I'm sure they'll be cramped. I may invest in a machine if it's that bad, since I have RA my hands tend to inflame, and I figured a late afternoon milking when they are warmed up enough to work really well would be a good start, rather than grumpy goat and stiff owner trying to work it out the first time on a cold morning. January babies are for the birds, never again.

Buttercup has no tail ligaments and was hiding this morning. I noticed she has bagged up as of yesterday so I think it will be soon. Dolly hid out for a few days before these guys were born. The doeling is sold as a bottle baby, they'll be coming to pick her up fairly soon. Not sure what I'm going to do with the bucklings, will probably sell them, or wether and grow out. Originally, these folks wanted one of Buttercups because she's smaller, but I showed them pictures of the new babies and they fell in love with the pretty little doeling right off - figured I'd show them the half siblings, and give them that option since we obviously have no idea if Buttercup will have any doelings.

Latest posts