Acorns ok? Tomato plants ok?

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My sister and I are doing pigs. She picked 5 gallons of acorns but is not sure that it’s safe to feed the pigs. She read mixed reviews.

Also I was going to pull out all our tomato plants and feed the pigs. I was told they are night shade plants and can be poison.

Advise? Please.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Everything I've ever heard regarding acorns is GO for it! Supposedly it greatly improves the flavor of the meat (if done near butchering). I know pigs love virtually all nuts and really seek them out. Tomatoes I can't speak for...

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Supposedly it greatly improves the flavor of the meat (if done near butchering).
The chefs we sold two of our hogs too says the meat had a very unique flavor and they loved it. We finished our hogs with acorns and apples. Also the pigs will love em so its a win either way.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
My experience has been that if a pig doesn’t like it, the pig won’t eat it. :idunno Not much ours wouldn’t eat.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't give them the tomato plants. I have also picked up acorns for the pigs. One year we went to a city park and raked up itty bitty pecans that no one would pick up, and gave them to the pigs. I gave them a coffee can of acorns/pecans daily, not all of them all at once.

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok great info. So a few handfuls a day. Plus no tomato plants.

We give them coffee grounds. So I hope that’s ok.

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The chefs we sold two of our hogs too says the meat had a very unique flavor and they loved it. We finished our hogs with acorns and apples. Also the pigs will love em so its a win either way.

What do you mean finish them off?