Acorns

amenfarm

Just born
Reaction score
My donkey has discovered there are acrorns in the front yard. Usually he is not in the house paddock, except when i lead him there for a reason. Can he eat these with no harm?

amenfarm

Just born
Reaction score
well, I guess i should have googdled first. can cause lots of problems from acorns, leaves and buds- tannin poisoning.:th

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
A few acorns now and then won't hurt them but I had a horse gorge on them and had to be put down due to the Tannin eating a hole in his intestine.... :hit

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, only a few at a time! You could always rake them up and then you can put him out there...

twentynine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My horses have been eating on acorn, no problems.

I didn't realise they were doing it until I noticed the grass under a couple oak trees looked like it had been tilled. I then watched the horses and sure enough, first thing in the morning, when they are let out, that's where they head.

PeepsCA

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My mini mare will gorge herself on them if she can, and she ended up with an impaction one time. Was no fun for either of us (but the vet I'm sure was thrilled with the check I handed him after it was all over :/ ). I live on 10 acres of assorted varieties of oak trees, so I have to really keep an eye on that little mini hippo-slash-hoover vacuum when I let her out into the pastures to graze with my other horses. If I see her cruising for acorns, back in the paddock (with a pine tree for shade) she goes :barnie
Sassy7-19-08.jpg

I've slimmed her down some since this pic was taken... but she is still tubby and her nick name is Pork Rind!
("It's her thyroid", mmhmm sure :rolleyes: )

ETA: This is how she looked when I got her, I wasn't the one trying to kill her with food, I swear!!!!

amenfarm

Just born
Reaction score
Jay-Jay now only get an little handfull of acorns every great in a while. Wish I had taken a pic when we got him, since july he's down about 100-125 lbs. Never any sweet feed, only low protein hays- once a day,1 flake, 1lb of crimped oats in winter (1/4 that in summer),1 oz of both corn oil and shoglo. I think wearing the graz. muzze this spring/summer in the daytime has helped him lose his neck roll, it is about half the size it was--I'll have to post a picture--he loves to bray until I come out and pet him,LOL--the whole street just Loves that.
What a cute mare, bet she loves her treats!!;)