Adding two inches through larger tires?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think we need a picture :D Doesn't sound like a garden tractor (which is a "tractor" in name only). Don't most riding mowers have a place in the back to pin things like dump trailers? I think even some Z turn mowers have that. I'm definitely not suggesting a PTO driven mower but one that hitch pins to the back of a rider/garden tractor and has its own gas engine. They can cut something like 7-8" high and can handle taller grass than a rider set to its 4" max height.

My mower struggles with a dump cart and alone on hills, it'll never make it with a mower on the back.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
In that case I suspect larger tires aren't going to solve any problems. Seems like you need a different machine for your property.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like this, but I'd have to go see what model it is.
20200221_215144.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like you would have space under the rear fenders, I think you would need to do some careful measuring on the front tires to make sure they wouldn't hit the front cowling or the mower wheels.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to add a full set of larger tires to their riding mower to change cutting height from 4" to 6+ inches?

I need the extra 2", but don't want to buy new or buy an unnecessarily massive tractor just for this...
I can't imagine that is the right thing to do, isn't there a tool or a mechanism in the tractor to lift it a bit? I really think there is. my friend's tractor actually has that mechanism.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a minimum and maximum the mower deck can be off the ground. At the maximum the top of the deck is up against the bottom of the mower frame. At the minimum, the bottom of the deck is on the ground. She's hoping to find a way to make the ground be farther away from the bottom of the tractor frame thus increasing the max height the deck can be off the ground.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
In that case I suspect larger tires aren't going to solve any problems. Seems like you need a different machine for your property.
A different machine will definitely fix the job. But isn't that extremely expensive? I know there is another "convenient" way to deal with it. I will do some research about this for you.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, any time you add a machine to the property it gets expensive, even if you find a good used unit.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My mower struggles with a dump cart and alone on hills, it'll never make it with a mower on the back.
Heavy duty and work trucks may often benefit from being lifted, as larger tires also have an improved load rating, which can boost ride and safety when carrying heavy tools or freight, especially for vehicles that continuously tow a trailer.