Adding two inches through larger tires?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to add a full set of larger tires to their riding mower to change cutting height from 4" to 6+ inches?

I need the extra 2", but don't want to buy new or buy an unnecessarily massive tractor just for this...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmmm. First thing to think about is will they fit under the rear tires? 4 new rims plus tires, don't know what that would cost. If you need the greater height often I'm wondering if a pull behind mower would be a better option.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
My hubby Chris, who actu builds vehicles from the ground up, for fun, said, yeah, it’s possible, but when you lift things that that, it always takes a toll on other parts, that aren’t meant to be lifted. He said adding bagging tires and rims is doable, but it might not cut the way you think it will. alinement issues, etc.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmmm. First thing to think about is will they fit under the rear tires? 4 new rims plus tires, don't know what that would cost. If you need the greater height often I'm wondering if a pull behind mower would be a better option.

It's not a tractor, tires come on a rim and aren't expensive.
And it wouldn't be able to pull anything nor does it have a pto.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
My hubby Chris, who actu builds vehicles from the ground up, for fun, said, yeah, it’s possible, but when you lift things that that, it always takes a toll on other parts, that aren’t meant to be lifted. He said adding bagging tires and rims is doable, but it might not cut the way you think it will. alinement issues, etc.

It already doesn't cut well & turning it is a pita. 🤣

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
It already doesn't cut well & turning it is a pita. 🤣
Well, maybe nothing to lose? we Are planning to put a lift kit on our golf cart this summer! We don’t have one of those razor things...we use three farm trucks and a golf cart. But, sometimes it would be nice if the cart was higher. So, we’re gonna lift it. :)

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I too don’t have a UTV and use a golf cart. I just bought a set of tires for the rear that look like tractor tires. The traction on that thing is horrendous in snow or just mud.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of folks around here use a quad and a tow behind mower. not PTO, they have their own motor. I've seen the mowers used for $800 - $1000. Of course you have to have the quad too, but we use ours for a lot of things. It's a handy farm vehicle thing.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too don’t have a UTV and use a golf cart. I just bought a set of tires for the rear that look like tractor tires. The traction on that thing is horrendous in snow or just mud.
You can get a lift kit for $100 ...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's not a tractor, tires come on a rim and aren't expensive.
And it wouldn't be able to pull anything nor does it have a pto.
I think we need a picture :D Doesn't sound like a garden tractor (which is a "tractor" in name only). Don't most riding mowers have a place in the back to pin things like dump trailers? I think even some Z turn mowers have that. I'm definitely not suggesting a PTO driven mower but one that hitch pins to the back of a rider/garden tractor and has its own gas engine. They can cut something like 7-8" high and can handle taller grass than a rider set to its 4" max height.

Latest posts