1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Weight to Thin Alpaca

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Llamas and Alpacas' started by AdoptAPitBull, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012
    AdoptAPitBull

AdoptAPitBull Ridin' The Range

I rescued a Suri alpaca (and a few others!) from a poor situation yesterday. He's older, about 14, and needs to put some weight on so he can enjoy the rest of his life. Right now he's on his hay and alpaca pellet. So far I've not found any treats that he likes (tried to offer some fruit and crackers). I do have some high calorie top dress for my goats, and I wondered if he could have a bit of that to add some pounds. Any suggestions for feed or supplements that add weight?

2. Mar 5, 2012
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

Shredded beet pulp and some calf manna should help. If the high calorie top dress doesn't have added copper, you should be ok with that too. That is great that you took them in. Good luck with him.

3. Mar 5, 2012
    TheSheepGirl

TheSheepGirl Ridin' The Range

You can try some soybean meal. This is pretty safe to use. Add about 1/2 cup to every pound of llama pellets.