Adopting a Non Trainned Great Pyreneese. How hard is this going to be

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
two strands of hot wire probably is not going to keep him in. Their heavy coat acts as an insulator while they scoot under the lowest wire. And they have a great desire to roam too, so it may not work. You can't really train them to stay home....it's deeply ingrained in their DNA to roam. I guess it all depends on how determined he is to get out.
So how do people keep them? PS I'm not being wise, I really want to know how people keep them on their property guarding their livestock. I figured the two strands would not keep it in or out as our black lab knows the timing and scoots under without getting zapped. What kind of fencing would one need?

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Woven wire with hot wire on top is what most people use. Multiple strands of electric....like a high tensile fence suitable for goats and sheep would keep him in, but fencing for cattle is not going to be enough . Labs have short hair and are a lot more trainable than the LGD breeds. LGD breeds are not easy to train. They kind of do their own thing.....they think for themselves. If he decides he needs to go check something out, that two strands of hot wire is not likely to stop him. These breeds have spent hundreds or thousands of years roaming large areas with their stock so roaming is something that they just do.

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
carolinagirl said:
two strands of hot wire probably is not going to keep him in. Their heavy coat acts as an insulator while they scoot under the lowest wire. And they have a great desire to roam too, so it may not work. You can't really train them to stay home....it's deeply ingrained in their DNA to roam. I guess it all depends on how determined he is to get out.
So how do people keep them? PS I'm not being wise, I really want to know how people keep them on their property guarding their livestock. I figured the two strands would not keep it in or out as our black lab knows the timing and scoots under without getting zapped. What kind of fencing would one need?
4X4 woven wire with gaucho (barbed) wire on top AND bottom. GPs are excellent diggers. Even with the fencing that I have, I check the fence line regularly to monitor the holes they've dug. Also, while it does take 18-24 months for a GP pup to mature, mine started guarding behaviors at about 3-4 months.

I think if you brought his dog home, he would either a) never be inclined to leave the porch/house b) take off and never be seen again. From what you've said, this dog has only bonded with people and never animals. I think it would be a bit unfair/confusing to the dog to ask him to become an LGD at this point. Unless you could keep him confined with only the livestock you wish him to guard as company (in a fairly small enclosure for a while in order to see if he even WILL bond with them) I don't see how he would have any clue as to what he was supposed to do for you. I don't mean to sound snarky, I just think this guy prolly needs to go to a home that's similar to what he has now.

If you do go with a pup, I would recommend finding someone that keeps the pups with the working parents until they are 3-6 months old. Those parents are VERY good teachers and the best thing is that they are out there all day with the pups teaching them. I couldn't (and wouldn't want to) be out there all day shaping a puppy. If the pups decide that the livestock would be fun to "play" with, mommy and daddy are quick to tell them different. Just my .02, best of luck with it. You'll love the dog(s) no matter what you decide to do :)

Latest posts