Adult goat down

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure why I didn't think of this before...I have sheep, not goats, but they share many health problems.

Our youngest lamb Dixie hadn't lost weight, and was eating and drinking fine...but noticed a weakness on her back legs and hips...thought she might have injured herself and we checked her carefully and no bones broken or breaks in her skin...thought it might be a pulled muscle, and no temp...so did the wait and see.

She got worse the next day and worse the day after...took her temp again and it was HIGH!!!! Had read about bacterial arthritis and started shots of antibiotics right away...taught me that even though there is no fever one day, take it everyday when something is not right.

By the second day of antibiotic shots, there was a huge improvement and fever was gone...continued for 5 days of penicillin shots and she just got better and better...you would never know she had that now...back to her impy ways and totally fine.

Just something to consider...I would check her temp everyday just in case...learned my lesson on that!

We got Dixie before she was totally down...had her temp not gone way up, or if I didn't recheck her temp...not sure what the outcome would have been?

Porkchop...thank you for posting that...helps us all look for those symptoms. Porkchop..was the temp ever high?

I save all these things in a sheep problem file on my computer...thank you Porkchop for posting that...your post will go in my folder...in an emergency I don't want to go scrolling around trying to find a post :)

Let us know how it's going Dragon! Hoping for a happy recovery :hugs

Goatlover200

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i cant find out anything, but all i hope is she recovers well, i am a newbie and i haven't ever owned goats before. :( but my username tells what i am :(

dragon18

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Porkchop, I'm so happy that it turned out well for your goat. We're going to have to euthanize our girl today. Poor baby. She can no longer use her neck as of this morning, the muscles have stiffened completely and she can't get to her food now at all. Still no fever, normal temp. Wish I knew what caused this, as I still feel lost. Maybe meningeal worms, but it could be something else, I just don't know. We'll be watching the rest of the herd closely, but so far they all seem healthy, just hope whatever it is won't spread. Sorry for the sad ending everyone, but thanks for all of your suggestions and help.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
I'm sorry to hear that.

But, if you have option to get a necropsy done, I would.

To just have a 3 year old goat go down like that, I would want to know the cause.

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that you are going to have to put her down.

And to answer the question about Kreature - She never had a temp. She just got done with another 5 day dosage of the Safeguard and the vet suggested it be repeated monthly for 4 months.

I will start another post so I do not interrupt this one and post the few pics I have of her during her treatment ( day 2 and day 5) and a pic of her now.

Goatlover200

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
oh maan!! i am so ssd! so sorry! please post her pics here so we ccan alll keep her in our memmory.

Ellie-May

Just born
Reaction score
Waiting for a call back from my vet but I'm not sure how much time I really have here. Have a goat (3 year old female) that has fallen over and won't stand up. She was getting skinny over the last week or so (and all of my other goats are fat) so I had started jacketing her to keep her warm and feeding her separately thinking the other goats were maybe keeping her from getting the good food. Now I found her today and she suddenly can't stand up at all. She has not gone off of feed or water at all (and is really eating like she has never seen food before from a kneeling position on the ground so I am giving her the best hay I can find and she's getting some yoghurt). She has a normal temp. She is pooping (soft feces so not goat pebbles, but rather a big clump of feces that comes out - not at all liquid though). She is peeing. She is bright, alert, responsive. I gave her a spoonful of molasses and she was trying to crawl over to me on her knees to get more. She was dewormed with Ivomec a month ago and is up-to-date on her CD+T vaccine. She has no swelling in her knees, but her legs are stiff and she has her front legs curled under her so she won't stand on them even if I pick her up. No snot, no drool, no tears or eye moisture. What on earth can cause this? All of the other goats are healthy and doing well. Any ideas? What can I do until the vet gets back to me? Goat kidded in March, so that shouldn't be the problem and she hasn't been bred yet this year

Ellie-May

Just born
Reaction score
Hi Dragon 18, Herd Lurker! I'm just wondering if you ever figured out what happened to your goat?