Adventures of Hans and Franz. New Video.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
ThreeBoysChicks said:
it helps avoid urinary calculi.
I have never heard of that before. Male sheep can get urinary calculi regardless if they are wethers or rams, it all depends on if there is too much phosphorus in their diet in comparison to calcium (there needs to be at least 2x more calcium than phosphorus).

I personally believe in banding before one month, though it is safe to do it yourself (without a vet/anesthesia) up until 90 days old.

JMO.

greenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
greenfamilyfarms said:
doxiemoxie said:
Oh dear, it almost looks like he has white eyebrows. They are both darn cute.
He looks like a little old man. :lol: Maybe name him Einstein?
MY little lamb's name is Einstein! I don't know where my husband came up with the name, but he looked at him and pronounced him Einstein! My Aunt (a vet), said "wishfully thinking....". Regarding the wether, I did him at 3 weeks, and I had the vet surgically castrate him WITH sedation. He did great and it cost 20 dollars for everything. I also banded his tail at the same time. It took a month to fall off, but he did not get an infection. Here he is right after being born....
1860_dsc_0263.jpg

And now, 4 months later.....
1860_dsc_0642.jpg

Your little guys are super cute...I love the video. I wish mine had a little friend to play with, the goats are no fun....

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I've always banded or cut before 2 weeks old and never had an issue in sheep with UC. I've also banded buck kids early and not has problems, so it really is more due to diet than when you band. If I waited until 4 or 5 months to band them I'd have to use one of those large banders because there's no way the testicles would fit through the small bands. I just had to get my vet out here to use his cattle bander for my 4 month old buck kid. I waited to try to sell him intact, but didn't have any luck selling him and he was starting to act rudely, so he got banded.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They are doing well. Little Hans has a little defect so I have to wipe his under carriage down 2x a day. Franz is a bugger. Always playing "mount Hans". I will have to get new pics up. They both have 4 horns.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The boys are growing fast.
6693_haildamamge_014.jpg

Franz is a snuggle bunny and Hans is not. He is hard to catch too. I think he has figured out that I am going to pick him up and he does not like it at all.

Ol'Thelma is doing great. Very patient with them.