Advice first time kidding

Goatmama2017

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a first time mama in labor. She was outside in the pasture and I heard her crying. I got her into the barn and she is having pretty steady contractions. My question she had a long Amber rope having out is that normal? No blood show.
My other mamas have all had babies before and seemed to pop them out quickly, this one is taking her time. She pushes with each contraction but no sign of baby yet. Any advice?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The long gooey amber rope is perfectly normal. If she's been pushing for quite some time - say more than 30 minutes I'd sure wash up good and do a quick feel to see what's going on inside her. A baby could be mal-positioned and she might need some help. If you see toes and a nose that's a good sign. Please keep us updated - and good luck!

Goatmama2017

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Her labor seems to have stopped is that normal? How long after the rope do they give birth? She is still uncomfortable but not like earlier.

Goatmama2017

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
anyone? I just checked on her again her tail is crooked and she squats when she walks but the consistent contractions don’t seem as evident and she isn’t crying anymore.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I second going in to check positioning if you know she was in labor. Be clean, slow and gentle.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you do an internal exam? I've had does who were in trouble stop pushing if there was a problem... You need to see if her cervix is open, and if there's a baby stuck in there.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like she is in trouble. I second all the above advice. Labor will stop if the kid is not presented correctly and with the amber rope presenting earlier it definitely sounds like she was in labor. You need to get in there and check or find someone that can, perhaps even a vet is in order.

Goatmama2017

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think maybe it was just her plug yesterday? She is a young doe and this is her first kidding. She is not in distress but is moving around and lying down as if birth is coming. She is not bleeding. Her utters are filled and she is grinding her teeth. She will not let me touch her but I can talk to her.