Advice first time kidding

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! So glad you joined us. Hope that all is well with your doe. Please share some pics when the kid(s) arrive! There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been my experience that the long amber rope is only presented when labor has truly started. The plug is usually clear or white and does not rope. Also contractions and the crying out makes me think that it was truly labor. If the kid is not presented correctly labor can stop and the doe will just give up until the kid dies and infection sets in. I am not trying to scare you but I would be very very concerned if she were mine. Do you have any other goat owners near you that might be able to help you get a look at her? Do you have lube and gloves in case you need to to an exam? Do you have a vet?

I hope that I am wrong and that all is well.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would err on the side of seeing if there is a malpresentation or not. Kids can easily get tangled and I’d rather check on my doe than lose her, especially with the teeth grinding. That’s a sign of pain.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's not hard to do an internal exam and it can give you peace of mind or the definite indication that you, and your doe, need help. Wash up, gloves if you feel the need, a little lube or just warm water and start with an index finger. Insert it in the vaginal opening and just sweep your finger around to see if anything is in there. Also reach as far in as you can with that finger, or maybe two, and see if her cervix feels opened or closed. If it's open you will probably be able to insert the tip of your finger into the opening - or if she's really dilated you will probably feel some part of a kid trying to come through. Did you notice any thing besides the amber rope, such as a bag of fluid? If your doe truly has been in labor, and I think by your description she was - she needs help or she will die and it won't be an easy death.

Can you get a pic of her back end and udder? Is this your first kidding? We want to help you so please don't be embarrassed or afraid to ask for more help.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remember my first time "going in"; I was just a little short of terrified. But it wasn't as horrible as it sounds. Just remember no long finger nails and if you have to go deep keep you fingers close together, tuck your thumb under your other fingers, go slow and don't forget to breathe. I have been up to my elbow with a doe last year that birthed one breech and then had two more breech that she thought that she should keep. Silly girl. So I had to go in and pull kids as labor had stopped and I knew that they were more. She wasn't pushing at all.

Goatmama2017

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I did finally examine her this afternoon and found two hooves and could feel the head. The sac had already broken and she could not birth the kid. I called my regular farm vet (horses) and he recommended another vet — he doesn’t do goats. I called her and she said she could come to me but said she may need a c-section. So we took her to the vets barn and she tried to pull the baby out with contractions but my girl just was too tired so she said we could risk it and try a csection. I wanted to save her so we did the csection. The baby was HUGE and she said there is no way she could have pushed the shoulders through the birth canal. When my Minnie saw the baby she licked it and cried. Broke my heart. The vet said to keep a close eye on her this next week would be critical. I’m so thankful for this vet. She wasn’t judgmental and said we all sometimes learn the hard way. She is now MY vet (she does horses too). All my other does are seasoned moms and older and have never had a problem so this was all new to me. I learned so much today and it will make me a much better goat mom. Minnie is resting peacefully and in a couple of hours I will check her temp and get her to walk a little. Thanks again for all the advice.

Goatmama2017

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am sorry it ended this way and I really pray that your girl has a quick recovery. C-sections can be very hard on them. I am glad that you were able to find a vet that could help; a good vet is priceless.
Kidding season starts for me in a few days...I have 40 does. :th
Oh wow! I only have 12 does and the three mature ones have already kidded. Minnie was a young doe that I didn’t realize was pregnant. Sneaky nasty little Billy.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry your first kidding ended this way :( I am glad you got her to the vet! Hoping she recovers without an issue :hugs

Please keep us posted on her and your upcoming kiddings!

Latest posts