1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nigerian Dwarf Goat - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for Rabbit Showmanship

Discussion in 'Behavior and Handling Techniques - Rabbits' started by Miranda Huber, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Dec 19, 2017
    Miranda Huber

Miranda Huber Exploring the pasture

Hey, everyone! I have had rabbits for years and I love them! I got them for showing in 4-H and for pets! I mainly have purebred Mini Rexes! I have been showing rabbits for three or more years!
    This year I would like to do 4-H Showmanship with one of my Mini Rexes! I couldn't in the past years because I had the sheep show the morning of the Rabbit Showmanship. Anyways, to my question; What is some advice for showing my rabbit for showmanship? What do I do? How should I start training my rabbit? What is all in showmanship (like flipping over, and showing the ears or teeth? Thanks!! This is going to be my first Rabbit Showmanship! Can't wait!! :D
    Here is a picture of the Buck I will be doing Showmanship with. He was born September 23rd, 2017! His name is Phantom! Would he be classified as a Broken Lilac?? Is he good looking for Showmanship? 20171128_181346414_iOS (2).jpg
    ~~Miranda~~

DutchBunny03 likes this.
  2. Dec 22, 2017
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

4-H rabbit showmanship judges you purely on your handling and knowledge of rabbits. You will be asked to flip the rabbit over to show the judge its sex, look inside the ears for problems(mites, etc), look at the eyes for discharge, and pose the rabbit facing the judge, facing left, and facing right. The judge will usually ask you a little bit about your rabbit(breed,variety within the breed, special characteristics of the breed, etc). The appearance/physical condition of the rabbit will not be judges, but it is best to have a healthy, well-groomed rabbit. Happy showing!

3. Dec 28, 2017
    Miranda Huber

Miranda Huber Exploring the pasture

Thank you so much! I'll get going on that and get Phantom ready for handling! :D