Advice for Rabbit Showmanship

Miranda Huber

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I have had rabbits for years and I love them! I got them for showing in 4-H and for pets! I mainly have purebred Mini Rexes! I have been showing rabbits for three or more years!
This year I would like to do 4-H Showmanship with one of my Mini Rexes! I couldn't in the past years because I had the sheep show the morning of the Rabbit Showmanship. Anyways, to my question; What is some advice for showing my rabbit for showmanship? What do I do? How should I start training my rabbit? What is all in showmanship (like flipping over, and showing the ears or teeth? Thanks!! This is going to be my first Rabbit Showmanship! Can't wait!! :D
Here is a picture of the Buck I will be doing Showmanship with. He was born September 23rd, 2017! His name is Phantom! Would he be classified as a Broken Lilac?? Is he good looking for Showmanship?
20171128_181346414_iOS (2).jpg

~~Miranda~~

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
4-H rabbit showmanship judges you purely on your handling and knowledge of rabbits. You will be asked to flip the rabbit over to show the judge its sex, look inside the ears for problems(mites, etc), look at the eyes for discharge, and pose the rabbit facing the judge, facing left, and facing right. The judge will usually ask you a little bit about your rabbit(breed,variety within the breed, special characteristics of the breed, etc). The appearance/physical condition of the rabbit will not be judges, but it is best to have a healthy, well-groomed rabbit. Happy showing!

Miranda Huber

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I'll get going on that and get Phantom ready for handling! :D