Advice needed, Rats in the rabbittry

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, so I have had rabbits since January-ish and no issues with pests up until a month ago. I have killed 7 rats using a snap trap but they just keep coming. Last night I spotted two, tried to whack one with a stick but the buggers are fast.

My rabbittry is set up with wire cages hanging from a roofed frame with tarps on the sides to keep out sun/weather. It backs up to a shipping container. The rats are climbing up the frame and I think they are eating the rabbit food, I have to replace at least one rabbit's feed each morning because it is layered with rat poop. They are sifter feeders - where can I find lids to fit the feeders, or suggestions to make some?

Any suggestions for killing the rats more successfully besides poison? I know that would work but I worry what else would be poisoned if the dead rat gets eaten by something.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Use crocks inside the rabbits cages to feed, ...that's what I do here so nonthing can get at their food, any spills the chickens get them for me...the chickens freely go under the rabbits hutchs that are 4 ' above ground and are all hardware cloth with 18" tile for resting feet.
Rats are nasty, can you put the poison on top of the cargo container ? A poisoned rat will seek water...leave a bucket of water on top of the cargo container also.....just a thought :)......and good luck at killing off the rat population :rant

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I will definitely look into the water bucket traps.

I am fairly certain that the rats aren't getting into the cages, but I think they can reach through them. They are climbing on top, so feeding in a crock inside the cage won't necessarily keep them from pooping on the feed. Maybe I need to put a tarp directly over the top of the cage, but I'm worried how hot that might make it.

I haven't checked yet this morning to see if the traps caught anything last night. Hopefully it did.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I will definitely look into the water bucket traps.

I am fairly certain that the rats aren't getting into the cages, but I think they can reach through them. They are climbing on top, so feeding in a crock inside the cage won't necessarily keep them from pooping on the feed. Maybe I need to put a tarp directly over the top of the cage, but I'm worried how hot that might make it.

I haven't checked yet this morning to see if the traps caught anything last night. Hopefully it did.

Do the rats get into your poultry ?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you heard of RatX?
It's a natural poison that doesn't effect other animals...it works with the digestive system of rats/mice only and all it does is it turns off the signals to the brain that tell them to drink water...so they die of dehydration. I haven't used it, but I know a few people who do and they all say it works great :)

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do the rats get into your poultry ?
They are trying, but I have the chicken tractors wrapped with 1 inch mesh, and the quail cages use 1/2 inch mesh. So far no injuries/fatalities I could say we're caused by the rats. I can definitely tell they are trying to get at the feed in the quail room though, and eating any eggs left out by accident.