1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed, Rats in the rabbittry

Discussion in 'Everything Else Rabbits' started by Larsen Poultry Ranch, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Aug 21, 2019
    Larsen Poultry Ranch

Larsen Poultry Ranch Loving the herd life

Ok, so I have had rabbits since January-ish and no issues with pests up until a month ago. I have killed 7 rats using a snap trap but they just keep coming. Last night I spotted two, tried to whack one with a stick but the buggers are fast.

My rabbittry is set up with wire cages hanging from a roofed frame with tarps on the sides to keep out sun/weather. It backs up to a shipping container. The rats are climbing up the frame and I think they are eating the rabbit food, I have to replace at least one rabbit's feed each morning because it is layered with rat poop. They are sifter feeders - where can I find lids to fit the feeders, or suggestions to make some?

Any suggestions for killing the rats more successfully besides poison? I know that would work but I worry what else would be poisoned if the dead rat gets eaten by something.

AmberLops and B&B Happy goats like this.
  2. Aug 21, 2019
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Wrap the cages in hardware cloth to keep rats out.

3. Aug 21, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Use crocks inside the rabbits cages to feed, ...that's what I do here so nonthing can get at their food, any spills the chickens get them for me...the chickens freely go under the rabbits hutchs that are 4 ' above ground and are all hardware cloth with 18" tile for resting feet.
    Rats are nasty, can you put the poison on top of the cargo container ? A poisoned rat will seek water...leave a bucket of water on top of the cargo container also.....just a thought :)......and good luck at killing off the rat population :rant

4. Aug 21, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Look on YouTube for water bucket traps. You may need to use a trash can for depth to keep them from jumping out

5. Aug 21, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

:thumbsup forgot about them..awesome thought !

6. Aug 21, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

The water bucket traps work!! I use them :)

7. Aug 22, 2019
    Larsen Poultry Ranch

Thanks everyone! I will definitely look into the water bucket traps.

I am fairly certain that the rats aren't getting into the cages, but I think they can reach through them. They are climbing on top, so feeding in a crock inside the cage won't necessarily keep them from pooping on the feed. Maybe I need to put a tarp directly over the top of the cage, but I'm worried how hot that might make it.

I haven't checked yet this morning to see if the traps caught anything last night. Hopefully it did.

AmberLops and B&B Happy goats like this.
  8. Aug 22, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Do the rats get into your poultry ?

9. Aug 22, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

Have you heard of RatX?
    It's a natural poison that doesn't effect other animals...it works with the digestive system of rats/mice only and all it does is it turns off the signals to the brain that tell them to drink water...so they die of dehydration. I haven't used it, but I know a few people who do and they all say it works great :)

10. Aug 22, 2019
    Larsen Poultry Ranch

They are trying, but I have the chicken tractors wrapped with 1 inch mesh, and the quail cages use 1/2 inch mesh. So far no injuries/fatalities I could say we're caused by the rats. I can definitely tell they are trying to get at the feed in the quail room though, and eating any eggs left out by accident.

B&B Happy goats likes this.