Advice needed

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I recently got 3 Nubian/Alpine kids...suppose to be 4 weeks and 3 weeks. Two of them have taken to the bottle great. Third not so great, but getting there. They are all active curious and pottying as they should be. They eat leaves, hay and some pellets. Have seen one drink water. The other two have checked it out but not actually drinking. At least not in my presence.

My concern is this: According to the charts I have found they should be drinking between 16-32 ounces. They are not even coming close to that. The two that have it figured out drink two 9 oz bottles. The third I got about 2-3 oz down the first day and today he drank 5. They do not show any interest in an afternoon feeding. So they get morning at 7 and evening at 4. Their bellies definitely feel full. I put some Nutri-drench in the third one's bottle.

Going to try to get some weights tomorrow.

Any advice appreciated. It just can't be enough.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
At that age mine would be drinking about 20 oz three times a day. Maybe a little less in the afternoon feeding. What are you feeding them? Were they on a bottle when you got them?

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am feeding them whole cows milk(heated). I was told they were on the bottle but as they refused it the first feeding and I had to get them started at the second feeding, I know they were not. All I know at this point is if I don't get them to take in more then I will end up loosing all three of them. I did change nipples and got the third to take half a bottle which is not near enough. I also cut the wholes a bit bigger to see if that helps. I tried putting it in a dish, no interest at all that way.
Hoping they all do better taking in more today.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! I hate it when people are deceptive. The poor babies suffer. I’m so glad they ended up with you. At least they will now have a fighting chance!

Maybe try dipping the nipple in something sweet?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
People that sell "bottle kids" that aren't should be made to skip food and water for at least a week. I have had to bottle train kids that have lost their dams at three weeks and it took a lot of patience and perseverance and about 3 days. It wasn't fun. I just pulled two kids yesterday that are 3 days old and they are fighting the bottle like it is their worst enemy. I finally gave up and gave to a friend that is the baby goat whisperer. If she can't get them a on bottle no one can.

Hope that you are having better luck today.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So day 4 with "bottle babies". Two of the three definitely are now bottle babies. Nutmeg, the smallest and Winchester(buckling) They take 25 ounces twice a day. They still don't show an interest for a middle of the day meal. One chart I read said this was ok. They are taking in some hay and pellets as well. The third finally took a 10 oz bottle this morning. Showed no interest in more. Going back out in about two hours to see if he will take another 10 oz. If not, we will try for two bottles tonight. I figure since he has taken in so little his stomach may have to readjust to larger amount. He is taking in hay & pellets as well. Pooping & peeing normal so he must be taking in some water, playing and active as the other two and doing his bucky thing. He is banded. Will keep you all updated on my farm journal. I tried several different nipples and the little bugger finally latched on to the original one I started witho_O. Funny how something as simple as that suckling sound can warm your heart.
Thank you for your advice.:love

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've also been a bottle mom, mine is almost weaned. I found that the smaller red nipple works best and I also used kid milk replacer instead of cows milk from a grocery store. Mine was difficult to feed in the beginning but I put a little bit of local honey on the nipple and in 2 days she was very eager to drink. Make sure it's warm enough, they won't drink luke warm milk. Their normal body temp is 102 like a dog so it should feel almost hot to the touch when you test it. That will resemble more of getting it from Mom.