Advice on choosing a LGD breed

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I need a Guardian that will be child friendly, not eat my poultry and protect my goats and farm.
Predators here are dogs,coons,opossums,hawks,skunks and foxes.
In the past we have had GP's and I loved them but they roam way to far I do not want to have to keep my dog locked up.

So is there a breed that will fill the above needs?

Thank You so much for your help

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
My GP's (2) have never left our goats.

I've read and read about wandering LGD's but none of the 4 we've had have been that way.

I've wondered if getting them fixed would help, but our female isn't fixed (yet...might breed her 1 more time) and she never leaves.

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had 3 of them one fixed male rescue, 1 female we got as a pup we fixed her at 3 or 4 years old, and a young male we got as a pup who died at about 2 of suspicious reasons think a neighbor fed him something all of them roamed far and wide we tried to contain them but they make goats look easy no fence can hold them unless it's a prison like fence

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a female Great Pyr and she never leaves the goats either. She is not spayed. Guess some aren't cut out for the job.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
We also have an Anatolian Pyr cross and we had his dad, a pure Anatolian. He was more aggressive than I liked but neither has ever left our property.

RareBreedFancier

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've been told training is an important part of if they stray or not. I'm looking at getting a LGD for my chickens and goats so I've been doing a lot of research and that point keeps coming up. I don't have a lot of land here so I'll be making sure I put in the time with that training.

Good luck. :)

watchdogps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How much land do you have, and do you have neighbor dogs you don't want harmed?

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we got 2 pyreneese dogs, both fixed. the male will wander some if he has a buddy. the female just flat out runs off, so she is in a dog pen. my goats are terrified of the dogs if there is no fence between them, so the male just roams free. he gets along with the neighbor dogs, loves the kids and does not bother a live chicken. dead ones he carries around, and prefers his dog food be outside to eat.(carries the bowl to his favorite spot) he dug out of his previous farm, and jumped on the kids. taught him no jumping here, and since he is not fenced in, no digging. will not be getting another pyreneese. they do wander too far from home. my blue heeler has really spoiled me, he never leaves the yard.

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
watchdogps said:
How much land do you have, and do you have neighbor dogs you don't want harmed?
I have 8.5 acres pyrs wondered about 100 acres :rolleyes:.
If a neighbor's dog comes on my place it's fair game but I can't have a LGD roaming looking for trouble and hurting them on their place.
I have had great luck with Rough Coated Collies in the past but am worried they aren't aggressive enough to handle the coyotes that are moving into our area.