Advice on choosing a LGD breed

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
First of all I have knowledge and years of training dogs. I just can't decide what kind of to get for our weather. I'm in Iowa and we can get extreme heat and humidity in the summers and very cold temps in the winters. I have some sheep now and have had cattle for years. I have two well trained German Shepherds but they weren't trained to be LGD's.
I'm just worried abou the heavy coats of some of the breeds and then again the lighter coats, lol.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Coat length was a concern of mine as well since I am in South Carolina. Anatolian Shepherds have nice shorter coats but also get a good thick double coat in the winter and can handle the cold just fine.

watchdogps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hickoryneck said:
watchdogps said:
How much land do you have, and do you have neighbor dogs you don't want harmed?
I have 8.5 acres pyrs wondered about 100 acres :rolleyes:.
If a neighbor's dog comes on my place it's fair game but I can't have a LGD roaming looking for trouble and hurting them on their place.
I have had great luck with Rough Coated Collies in the past but am worried they aren't aggressive enough to handle the coyotes that are moving into our area.
On a place that small, I can't say id suggest a free range lgd, regardless of breed. There are some who might stay close, but you won't know if that is the dog you get until you have it in that situation. Id suggest a fenced area of the more crucial spaces, like the actual stock pens. If it doesn't matter if the dog damages a dog who wanders in, underground fencing might work. I generally am opposed to invisible fences, but in a rural area where you don't have nieghbors or a lot of kids as frustrations, it can work.