Advice on getting Started with Cattle

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am seriously considering adding some cattle here on the 20acres and I have never had them before. There are no definite plans of aquiring them at this time, but I wish to be prepared ahead of time with proper fencing, grazing pasture, and other dedicated areas that may be needed. Are there strict laws that govern their handling, tests, vacinations, or such? If you were to start out again, knowing what ya do now, what would you do differently to make it better from the start?
I have a connection to some shorthorn that are raised for 4H Shows. Would they be good to start with? The main purpose would be for meat, and to sell. Thanks for any assistance ya are willing to give me on this.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, @frustratedearthmother , I will be expanding the goats never fear about that...but, with as much area as we have in fields a little help with the grass would be appreciated and have had some interest from others about raising some for slaughter. I like variety and options when it comes to that "Plate" thing....:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who are the others and how much interest do they have? A couple of feeder steers could be a good idea. You have good grass but would have to divide it up so you could rotate pastures. Are these "others" interested enough to help you cross fence? You would need to feed hay in the winter. Is there a hay farmer that lives nearby? And would he store your round bales of hay and deliver it one at a time, as needed? If not, do you have a pick up truck to go get a round bale in? If not, do any of the "others" have a truck and would they spend their time and gas money picking up round bales for the steers? You could feed square bales, but that is a lot more work, you have to haul them from the field, stack in the barn, then get them down one at a time and lug them out to the cattle. Would any of the "interested others? come help do all that?

Do you have a loading chute? One could be made with cow panels. Do you have a stock trailer or know some one you could borrow one from? If you have a bad couple of days and can't get up and around, would one of the "others" come feed and care for the steers?

If you have a connection to shorthorns that are raised for 4H, would you be buying one that didn't make the cut for a show steer? Then have it vaccinated when you buy it. The strict laws are more on the slaughter side of the issue. If you sell a steer, it is theirs and it can be taken to a custom slaughter house for processing. A custom slaughter house is not USDA inspected. If you have the animal slaughtered and sell cuts, then you must take it to a USDA slaughter house. If you are raising steers on a buddy system, where the "Interested others" already own their steer and ya'll are splitting the cost of feed, then you can take them to a custom slaughter house and each person pays for their own slaughter, cut and wrap charges. We did that last year with pigs. It worked out good for all of us. @Devonviolet got in on that deal and she and her DH butchered their own pig. They did a kill and chill at the custom slaughter house we took the pigs to. We raised 3 pigs and we split the cost of raising them with Devonviolet, our neighbor and ourselves. Everybody was happy.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The simple and quick answer to your questions Bay is, yes. The stock would come from the "Show Culls" and the others includes family, ours and the neighbors. There is plenty of hay available here for $25-35/roll. We are looking to get a pickup, but neighbor has 2 and a tractor. I was thinking about getting a roll hauler to pull with truck to get a roll here when needed. My intentions are to try some steers first before committing to them yr round, because of the unknowns of tending to them. We haven't worked everything out just yet, but I'm trying to find out about it before just jumping in. This also includes some pigs. Yes, when all of this came up, many of ya here sure was in my thoughts when it was being discussed. I knew I had really good mentors to draw from and all seem to be overly supportive....okay "Enablers"....and I have time and space, so why not have fun, fill freezers, and cut back on the mowing?
I've always said that land should be used to produce, so it is high time this property start doing some. Heck, if I can find a market here for sheep, I'll be getting some of those too. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We currently have 4 pigs........LOL The buddy system is alive and well. We have a great community and we help one another. You might want to start with a few feeder pigs on the buddy system. When you haul them to slaughter and everyone is still friends, then step it up to a few steers. Go slow to start with so you don't overload yourself.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The neighbor's cousin has 54 head, so he'd be available to assist with problems. So far, it appears that we could be up to 4 steers to start with....but, I also know that others are just great with the idea, but when cones to putting the $$ down and out they tend to "Crawfish". If this does come about, I want to be already prepared, so it will be around a yr from now before the animals will be gotten. Trying to find some LaManchas right now, tho.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about......Money talks and Bullshirt walks. So put up or get ta' steppin'. You would have to get the animal paid for up front or else........no pay-no play.

Edited to add: we haven't had that crawfish problem here when it comes to paying for a pig or feed costs. Our buddy system is the best!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm also interested in the possibility of keeping a few cows for several reasons, but I've always grown up around them, but never had any of my own. Tho, both sides of the family have a long history of raising them. I don't believe that I'd ever have a bull, but having calves could be productive to some degree, and if something does happen to me, Joyce will always have the option of liquidating to put some $$ in her hand. Do you know if shorthorn are tasty and good meat stock?

Latest posts