Advice on getting Started with Cattle

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey, I am not sure where to post this, and hope you guys don't mind me putting it on here. We are leasing 2 pastures to a couple. One of their pregnant cow has the sac coming out, and there is something dripping out. I saw this on Monday. They said that they had noticed that weekend. I have never seen it take that long, and I suggested they get a vet to come and take a look. They haven't. Looked at her today, still the same. Maybe, I am overreacting. Is it okay for it to go on this long? I know a little, but not that much. I am still learning. Help please. I am afraid that calf is going to be stillborn, or the mother is going to die. I have contacted them again. The bull they have is what I would call big boned. I don't know if that is the correct term. I wish I could help that poor mama.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It appears to be the amniotic sack.

Last edited:

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
More than likely the cow can't have the calf, the calf is already dead, and the cow will die within days as the dead calf decomposes within her. She needs a vet immediately, and if the owners won't call one, I'd call one yourself, after I called the humane society. GET ON IT!! There isn't much time left.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes. Thanks that is what my husband and I decided to do.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe she's had the calf off somewhere, and she just didn't clean out afterwards.
Still would need a vet look at her tho.

Red the butcher

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just putting it out there but of all the cows I've eaten jersey was hands down the best!

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow, was lucky. Both calf and momma fine. The calf was big. I thought for sure it would be dead. When this lease is over, no more leasing. I will get a picture of calf and post it when I can. Right now momma is very protective.