Advice on getting Started with Cattle

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am still amazed at how big that baby was. The mom appears to be a Hereford/Brahman cross. The bull looks like it might be a short horn. I have never seen a bull like this before. I looked up short horn, and it is very close to the pictures I have seen. Whatever the bull is...it is throwing big calves.

After we let the pasture rest a bit, and clean it up. I would like to get some Dexter cattle. If anyone has some, please let me know your experience with them. I have done lots of research on them, and right now I am in the process of reading various books on cattle. My brother-in-law Matt works for A & M in agriculture, so I know he can give me some advice.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Braford cattle can have some large calves without much problem.
I no longer have them, but did have some that routinely had 100lb or more calves unassisted, but then I also have had one of my beefmaster cows that every calf has been 100lbs, with the sire being a Char/sim cross bull.
Beefmasters are a composite breed of Shorthorn-Brahma-Hereford. The exact % of the foundation animals was never documented but thought to be 25% Hereford, 25% Shorthorn and 50% Brahman

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My goodness. Maybe it was okay, and it just needed more time, but the sack coming out and it going on for so long scared me.
I was thinking about Dexter cattle because if my Husband is gone, I felt like I could handle them, and take care of them. I also thought if we raised one for meat we could handle the smaller amount better.
On another note, what do you think of AI? I was thinking of doing that instead of getting a bull. Of course, I am a little scared of bulls. When I was a child we had to climb into a camper on the back of pickup in a field because two bulls decided to have a bull fight. ( of course Janice Ann and I shouldn't have been out there)I have heard that Dexters tend to be docile, so it might be okay to have a bull.
Any thoughts.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
AI is the ONLY way to go with only a few momma cows and heifers.
Learning curve for sure, and you will miss sometimes, but the options for your offspring's genetics are endless.
(borrow a bull for cleanup or just AI again)

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
upload_2017-5-11_21-58-30.png
upload_2017-5-11_21-58-30.png at 4 days old

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, a Braford look about 'em, but the one you can barely see has a Beefmaster look just from the little I can see so they could be either breed.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
upload_2017-5-11_23-55-9.png
upload_2017-5-11_23-55-9.png The bull is next to the tree. I don't know, but he kind of looks like the short horn I have seen on the internet. I am just really learning breeds.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what I can see of the bull next to the tree I would say more Braford than shorthorn. Shorthorns usually do not have the defined red and white patches. They run more solid red, solid white sometimes, but mostly a roan mix of reddish white and some that are outcrossed with angus are a blue roan. He also seems to have more of a dewlap and that is not a shorthorn trait.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, not too good at recognizing breeds yet, just trying. It is good to know what to look for. Just beginning to read cattle books.
Right now, I have been focusing on Dexter, because that is what we want when we are done with the pasture lease.
First, we need to improve the pasture. I am trying to find a book about that right now. It also needs to be broken into another pasture with a fence and gate so we can practice rotational grazing. That way we would have three instead of two pastures. I am thinking we need to clear out the bitter weed patches, oak tree saplings, and cactus, and then fertilize the area for better grass.