Advice on raising Jersey's for steers/oxen

rlm29

Just born
Reaction score
Can anyone who has any experience raising Jersey's give me some advice about the temperment of the steers? I am contemplating getting some bull calves to turn into steers/oxen. I have trained several pairs of steers but never Jerseys. I have heard that Jersey bulls are some of the meanest there are, but if you turn them into steers are they nicer? Any advice would be appreciated!

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi :welcome Sorry, I cant realy help with your question ,and everyone who can, seems to be away at the moment.I have heard the same as you on Jersey bulls,"nasty" but I dont know if steering them changes that.Are you planning to train them, keep them as pets, or for meat?
jen

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I would ask why you would chose jerseys for oxen? Other than them being pretty, and jersey bull calves are cheap, why? I know of no one who has jersey steers as adults. It's just not profitable in any way. Their reputation as bulls is enough that if you are going to invest such time in raising and training, why start off with taking such a huge chance on the temperament?

no nonsense

Corralled
Reaction score
Castrating does help fix the nastiness, but very few of the oxen guys recommend Jerseys. Just about the only people who use them are those who don't want to spend any money starting up a new team, or experienced teamsters who try them once for the experience, just to say they've done it. I've never met anyone who recommends them consistently as their breed of choice, and for good reason. Although the nastiness is curbed, they still can be quite a handful. A local kid who is an excellent teamster has a pair of Red Holstein X Brown Swiss, which look exactly like Jerseys. He's very quick to correct anyone who makes the assumption based on their color, that he does not and would not own Jerseys for a team of working steers, and he's insulted that they think he would.

Jersey Love

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I Have a jersey that i am training as an Ox/Riding steer, and I can tell you they are FAST they walk fast they learn fast and they bond fast.

My steer loves to trot while working and he will act up if we stay on the same task or area too long be prepared to challenge them both mentally and fiscally

As far as temperament I have taken him to a few schools and had children climb on him and pet him and he did not flinch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dogwood123456?feature=mhum#p/u

Latest posts