Advice/Opinion on possible pregnancy?

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How terrible. It is so sad to loose baby goats. The good is that good always comes out of bad and that your doe mad it. Are you planning on breeding her again?

We talked it over with the vet and I have decided to rebreed her given at least a full year of rest. Because we bought her bred there were just so many loose ends (didn't know the buck, no breeding dates etc) that I want to give her one more chance the right way to see if it can work out. If she prolapses again she will not be bred again. For now it's just getting weight back on her after the infection and hoping, constantly, that the other doe (who is definitely also pregnant) has a smoother labor.

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:ep:barnie:th :hugs:hit Dang... You were put through the proverbial ringer! so sorry you lost all the kids and had the med issues with momma goat. You posted that the seller said she had been in with an 8 month buck... Your girl looks like a dwarf/small breed... Did he mention what breed the buck was? like full sized maybe? :he (hmmm wonder if that might be the reason the seller sold? :rantAnticipation of birthing issues? I sure hope not! :somad)

So sorry and hope your doe fully recovers. Will you let her try again next year?
She is a Nigerian dwarf, and the seller said she was exposed to a nubian. :he
I'm kicking myself but also not. I've been around goats for so long that I knew it was a disaster waiting to happen buying goats bred so improperly but I fell in love and couldn't say no. :( I am glad though, because I know she would not have gotten the extensive medical care with previous owner and would not be here today.
Her previous owner was a man in his 70's who had just lost his wife and could no longer care for his animals. I talked with him for quite some time and it was clear he truly did not know any better.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
OMG... I had so hoped that wasn't what caused it :somad So sorry the guy lost his wife, but damn. I'll bet his wife had been the goat herder... I hope it was an accident & it probably was... Just a danged shame... I agree, you saved that little doe's life! Nice job on your part :clap:bow

But now, I have ask... Are you about to go through this again? :eek: Please tell me the next girl up isn't another Nigie that was with the Nubian? :fl:fl:fl:fl Please keep us informed? Hoping for the best!

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OMG... I had so hoped that wasn't what caused it :somad So sorry the guy lost his wife, but damn. I'll bet his wife had been the goat herder... I hope it was an accident & it probably was... Just a danged shame... I agree, you saved that little doe's life! Nice job on your part :clap:bow

But now, I have ask... Are you about to go through this again? :eek: Please tell me the next girl up isn't another Nigie that was with the Nubian? :fl:fl:fl:fl Please keep us informed? Hoping for the best!

Yep, exact same situation. They were a package deal. :hit
She is much smaller than our other doe was when she kid, and her udder has been filling for about a month now, so yes...every morning is a race to the barn to make sure I have not lost my other doe. I am hoping so much that everything somehow miraculously goes better with her. I will definitely post updates. As they are only two years old I have hope that if we can get through this, they can go on to have long, happy, well managed lives and births. :fl

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I am so not envious of your position... :hugs I'm not a prayer type guy, but I'll keep you in my thoughts and HOPE that she's only carrying a single and that all goes acceptably considering the situation she (and you) are in... :fl I'm sure you don't really need another round of vet bills either. Is this another "no idea of dates" situation too? (I mean of COURSE it will be... DUH! :hu)

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about the outcome of this kidding!:hit Praying that your other doe has a safe and uneventful birth with live kid(s) (she's not a FF, right?) :fl