1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Advise needed for biting mini donkey

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Horses, Mules, a' started by PamL, May 12, 2017.

1. May 23, 2017
    farmerjan

farmerjan Loving the herd life

You could try to use the type of nosebag, that they use to prevent horses from eating too much grass. I have seen it on several in the area that seem to get really fat from grazing. It's not a muzzle, but allows some grass to come through but not alot. I don't know the proper term. I think it would prevent him being able to bite. You would have to talk to someone more knowledgeable about it. I never restricted my animals from grazing, but then I rode daily and they always got a good workout so getting fat wasn't a problem.

2. May 24, 2017
    PamL

PamL Exploring the pasture

Thanks! We did consider using one of those but we ended up putting up some temporary electric fence to separate them. Then on Sunday I got a lamb from a friend so now we are letting them bond. So far I have not seen him bite the lamb. Then hopefully this weekend we can put them all together again.

Latestarter likes this.
  3. Jun 14, 2017
    Pasquale

Pasquale Herd lurker

Have had our mini, male, gelded for a couple of years. He is very sweet and docile. My grandson rides him. He was broken to ride when we got him. He is probably 5 years old. He was lonely and we got a med size jenny for him a year ago and all was well. She had a baby about 2 months ago (we didn't know she was pregnant when we got her) and Seymour, the mini, was bent out of shape for awhile cause she ignored him and wouldn't let him near the baby. Then things settled in and all was well again. In the past week though the 2 adults have been fighting. he bites her neck and she kicks him. It seems like it gets really rough to me. Do we need to separate them. Get rid of one? Could it be that she is in heat or something.

4. Jun 15, 2017
    PamL

PamL Exploring the pasture

I wish I could offer some advise. I am new to mini's. I will add that since my last post I had to rehome my lamb because my mini was biting her as well and I thought he was going to kill her. I can't wait to get him gelded.