Advise needed for biting mini donkey

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good Morning,
I am a new mini donkey owner. He is about 8 months old. We have had him for 2 weeks. We have 2 Angus cows and the donkey has been biting them on the ears, neck and legs. How can I correct this? I work so I can't be there all day to watch him. Should I separate them for a few days? What about sprays that taste bad? He has never really tried to bite me. Thanks so much for any help.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello....Congrats on the little Donkey...

Yes...I would separate for a couple of weeks...Its pecking order...Sometimes Donkeys can be pretty bossy..Also it is young and if a Jack and not gelded he might need his hormones adjusted...:\

I have a MIni Horse that has to be kept separate too..He is a tiny bully.....

Best of luck...:frow

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks so much. We do plan to get him gelded, just waiting for both to drop :)

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome

Donkeys play rough - really rough. There are lots of folks here who got a young donkey as a livestock guardian, who then wound up having to remove it from the pasture because it was as dangerous to their livestock as the predators it was supposed to be protecting them from!

But yes, it would be a good idea to get him out of there - anything you try to teach, you have to be there to enforce.

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:welcome

Donkeys play rough - really rough. There are lots of folks here who got a young donkey as a livestock guardian, who then wound up having to remove it from the pasture because it was as dangerous to their livestock as the predators it was supposed to be protecting them from!

But yes, it would be a good idea to get him out of there - anything you try to teach, you have to be there to enforce.

He was given to me from my cousin. I hope he will grow out of it. I have tried spending as much time with him as I can to make him more social and nice. Hope it works! She did that as well at her farm.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_1289.JPG
My Mini Horse...He is a brat and off for training in two weeks..His name is Teddy..:lol:..Lol...He is not a cuddle bug...:th