Advise needed for biting mini donkey

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could try to use the type of nosebag, that they use to prevent horses from eating too much grass. I have seen it on several in the area that seem to get really fat from grazing. It's not a muzzle, but allows some grass to come through but not alot. I don't know the proper term. I think it would prevent him being able to bite. You would have to talk to someone more knowledgeable about it. I never restricted my animals from grazing, but then I rode daily and they always got a good workout so getting fat wasn't a problem.

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You could try to use the type of nosebag, that they use to prevent horses from eating too much grass. I have seen it on several in the area that seem to get really fat from grazing. It's not a muzzle, but allows some grass to come through but not alot. I don't know the proper term. I think it would prevent him being able to bite. You would have to talk to someone more knowledgeable about it. I never restricted my animals from grazing, but then I rode daily and they always got a good workout so getting fat wasn't a problem.

Thanks! We did consider using one of those but we ended up putting up some temporary electric fence to separate them. Then on Sunday I got a lamb from a friend so now we are letting them bond. So far I have not seen him bite the lamb. Then hopefully this weekend we can put them all together again.

Pasquale

Just born
Reaction score
Have had our mini, male, gelded for a couple of years. He is very sweet and docile. My grandson rides him. He was broken to ride when we got him. He is probably 5 years old. He was lonely and we got a med size jenny for him a year ago and all was well. She had a baby about 2 months ago (we didn't know she was pregnant when we got her) and Seymour, the mini, was bent out of shape for awhile cause she ignored him and wouldn't let him near the baby. Then things settled in and all was well again. In the past week though the 2 adults have been fighting. he bites her neck and she kicks him. It seems like it gets really rough to me. Do we need to separate them. Get rid of one? Could it be that she is in heat or something.

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have had our mini, male, gelded for a couple of years. He is very sweet and docile. My grandson rides him. He was broken to ride when we got him. He is probably 5 years old. He was lonely and we got a med size jenny for him a year ago and all was well. She had a baby about 2 months ago (we didn't know she was pregnant when we got her) and Seymour, the mini, was bent out of shape for awhile cause she ignored him and wouldn't let him near the baby. Then things settled in and all was well again. In the past week though the 2 adults have been fighting. he bites her neck and she kicks him. It seems like it gets really rough to me. Do we need to separate them. Get rid of one? Could it be that she is in heat or something.

I wish I could offer some advise. I am new to mini's. I will add that since my last post I had to rehome my lamb because my mini was biting her as well and I thought he was going to kill her. I can't wait to get him gelded.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, she could be cycling. The donkeys have a fairly "rough" type of foreplay. They will, nip and chase....actually, the male will chase until jennet stops and stands. BUT -- this may not be the case, so watch for how bad it gets and how long it lasts.

Heat should last a few days (4-8 ish) but every animal is different in the amount of hormone pumping and how much smell they emit, as well as how sensitive the male is to the smell. Yes, he was gelded but, sometimes this does not stop the instinct. Also, this jennet was bred when she came, so it may be first time he has been exposed to it --- IF that is the problem.

You can muzzle him to stop the biting. If he is really rough, separate them.

Pasquale

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate the info. Things settled back to pretty normal after about 4 days and you are right. This is the first time she has been in heat since we got her. How often do they go into heat? Not looking forward to this again.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Once a month, every 21-24 days normally. Try wiping some vicks menthol above his nose when it's time....often helps to mask the odors. Unfortunately, most jennets (& mares) want to attract, so stand in front of them and pee. Naughty girls, just wanna have fun!!! :he

Actually, the hormonal scent can be detected on their breath before the urine. So if you watch the calendar and/or see her squatting each time he comes near, try the vicks. The male may lose interest after a while....but, probably not this summer. She won't normally cycle in winter, unless you live in desert area.

A Jack can be very rough AND donkeys are far stronger than they look for their size. Just a warning to know this.

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He was given to me from my cousin. I hope he will grow out of it. I have tried spending as much time with him as I can to make him more social and nice. Hope it works! She did that as well at her farm.
You might consider, when we were children we would have shetland pony studs and the like. The pony studs would bully the draft horses. However when we harnessed them and workrd them all day they where just to tired to harass any thing. If you could put the little guy on a rotating lead that would keep him busy with breaks, it might tire him enough to leave otheres alone. As he gets older a harness and taking the place of the riding mower may help. Just a thought.