Aggieterpkatie- The Daily Bleating-LOTS of pics 4/17

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
So since I already have a blog (and have a hard enough time keeping it updated :rolleyes:), I didn't want to start a normal journal. Instead, I thought I'd start a journal for daily comings and goings for the whole board. You know, just kind of a post where we can all chat about boring stuff, or our days, or what's new with us, you know, random rambling. :D Feel free to post here anytime, don't wait on me to start the day's postings!

So what does everyone have going on today? My perpetually broody hen, Wanda, is in the process of hatching out eggs. One chick so far, and hopefully when I get home from work she'll have more. She was sitting on 10 eggs. :)

June (my Oberhasli doe) got bred on Saturday. My buck Theo (who lives on another farm 1.5 hrs away-we share him) is here now (obviously if he bred June :lol:). I would like to bring him back to the other farm soon, but I figure my luck if I go ahead and send him back June won't settle. :rolleyes:

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Well 9 out of the 10 eggs hatched yesterday. The 10th egg is still in there, but I'm thinking it's a dud. Wanda (the hen) looks pretty happy with herself. :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Well 9 out of the 10 eggs hatched yesterday. The 10th egg is still in there, but I'm thinking it's a dud. Wanda (the hen) looks pretty happy with herself. :)
Yay!! Yesterday was a good hatch day for me too :D Miss Flufferbottom has 8 little fluffies with 3 more eggs that may hatch this morning :fl Very proud mama hen.

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'll bite. Sometimes I just want to talk about the farm too and I have rather worn my interesting out with everyone else. I feel super good to talk to animal folks.

I am having coffee now, trying to settle my stomach and gear up to go get our newest addition. She is a 15 month old Jersey/Shorthorn heifer who is bred to a Jersey bull and due in early May. She will need gentling and time to get used to us but will become our family's milk cow. I also have been messaging with someone on BYC that wants to buy some of my Jearhon eggs to hatch and it got me wanting to try that out as well. I found a large clutch of hidden eggs all nestled in a large bin that was filled with the fleece from Lilly our one sheep. It was a beautiful sight, all those different shades of cream and pink with the eggs in a super soft nest of fleece. Those would have been lucky chicks but none the less they will not be ruining my fleece. I have never tried incubating eggs before so she and I will both get to since I found some eggs to try myself. She will get fresh eggs but these ones I found will do for me.
This has been a good year for the expansion of our farm. Since spring we have added sheep, turkeys, ducks and now a dairy heifer. So happy to get my full service farm rolling.
We didn't breed our sheep this year but they are mostly pets and I wasn't super concerned about it and still may if the right opportunity comes along. We are enjoying life around here that is for sure.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We are working on getting everything ready for the winter that's sure to come in a couple of months. I'm more anxious this year after the literal blizzard we had here February 1st. this year. We aren't used to that in Oklahoma.

Over the weekend 3 couples from the Bastrop, Texas area came up to visit our neighbor accross the road and we visited with them Saturday night. They say Texas is just a big dry tinderbox and they had to get away for a while to escape the smoke smell.
They're all lifetime Texans in their 60's and say it's way beyond anything they or their folks have seen before.

We're lucky here in Green Country, NE and East Central Oklahoma. We had a 2 inch rain last Friday, it was lovely.

So far this year we have: Expanded the "doe barn" and built a new "buck barn". Removed the hoses from the main water source to the barn and put it underground. Moved the auto waterer into the barn on an inside wall so hopefully it won't freeze up this winter.

We've got to:

Reposition the electric fencing for the chicken yard. I like to move them around on new ground, keeps them healthier I think.

Reposition the electric fencing for the does. They just won't go out to the back side of the huge area DH fenced in. They don't like to get out of site of the house and barn I imagine....

I'm constantly looking for ways to make my animals lives "more better". I started this little adventure late in life.... I wish I had been younger when I discovered goats.

DonnaBelle

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's been a crazy busy week. Started off terribly last Tuesday with Louise and then ended with the opening of our antique store on Sunday. And yesterday we rested. If anybody is coming through WV, please stop by Retropolitan in Shepherdstown WV. We're right on rte 480.

Trying to ease back on some of the farm projects. Like letting the greenhouse go. If nobody buys it before we get time to put it up... well then I guess I'll have lots of salads. Got rid of all of our chickens because I don't have time to redo the coop before winter. Just feel like I'm playing way too many games of whack a mole lately. Too many irons in fires.

There's good stuff too though. Our apple tree that we planted the first year we lived here finally produced apples this year. Of course the pear tree bloomed last weekend so I think I need to go have a talk with it since it did the same thing last year. 3-4 blossoms right around September. :he

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
We are working on getting everything ready for the winter that's sure to come in a couple of months. I'm more anxious this year after the literal blizzard we had here February 1st. this year. We aren't used to that in Oklahoma.

Over the weekend 3 couples from the Bastrop, Texas area came up to visit our neighbor accross the road and we visited with them Saturday night. They say Texas is just a big dry tinderbox and they had to get away for a while to escape the smoke smell.
They're all lifetime Texans in their 60's and say it's way beyond anything they or their folks have seen before.

We're lucky here in Green Country, NE and East Central Oklahoma. We had a 2 inch rain last Friday, it was lovely.

So far this year we have: Expanded the "doe barn" and built a new "buck barn". Removed the hoses from the main water source to the barn and put it underground. Moved the auto waterer into the barn on an inside wall so hopefully it won't freeze up this winter.

We've got to:

Reposition the electric fencing for the chicken yard. I like to move them around on new ground, keeps them healthier I think.

Reposition the electric fencing for the does. They just won't go out to the back side of the huge area DH fenced in. They don't like to get out of site of the house and barn I imagine....

I'm constantly looking for ways to make my animals lives "more better". I started this little adventure late in life.... I wish I had been younger when I discovered goats.

DonnaBelle
It does keep your chickens healthier.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I just spent 30 minutes chasing down the Togg buck, who got out of his pen (for the 50th time, it would seem) and decided he needed to go visit my boer / Nubian / Kiko does. :he

They are all *supposed* to be bred, except Penny....who had a 12# kid this year and isn't SUPPOSED to get get bred, by anyone...

He was only loose for 5 mins. before I got down there, and I didn't see any mess on her, so I'm hoping he didn't.

DH then got a phone call from his unhappy wife, in which I threatened to castrate both him AND his goat if he cannot figure out a way to contain him. He is currently tied to the bobcat. The goat, not DH.

For now.

:smack

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone is busy! Elevan, congrats on Miss Flufferbottom's new clutch (love her name, btw). :)

Kelsey, congrats about your new addition! I'm sure she'll turn into a great milk cow. :)

Good luck getting all your "to-do" stuff done, Donnabelle. I feel so badly for Texas. We had a bad drought this summer (until August when we started getting rain. Now we've had 22" of rain in 3 weeks). I can't imagine what Texas is going through though....horrible.

SFC, your antique store sounds awesome!! I don't blame you for taking a few irons out of that darn fire! Life is too short to be too stressed out with no time to just enjoy life! And congrats on your apples! I would love to finally stop procrastinating and plant some fruit trees!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I just spent 30 minutes chasing down the Togg buck, who got out of his pen (for the 50th time, it would seem) and decided he needed to go visit my boer / Nubian / Kiko does. :he

They are all *supposed* to be bred, except Penny....who had a 12# kid this year and isn't SUPPOSED to get get bred, by anyone...

He was only loose for 5 mins. before I got down there, and I didn't see any mess on her, so I'm hoping he didn't.

DH then got a phone call from his unhappy wife, in which I threatened to castrate both him AND his goat if he cannot figure out a way to contain him. He is currently tied to the bobcat. The goat, not DH.

For now.

:smack
Stupid buck! Hopefully Penny gave him the what-for and told him where he could go! My stupid Ob buck managed to run over and try to breed my doe kid in the 30 seconds they were out of the pen together (doing some pen re-arranging) and we were RIGHT THERE!!!! Stupid buck was so intent on breeding her and ran by me so fast. I don't think he was successful, but I may as well send a blood test from her along with the other girls when we do preg checking. :rolleyes: